Assistance please with Victoria Plum

Hi,
I have a small victoria plum tree that has been trained against a sun facing fence.
I have noticed that the branches are covered in what I can only describe as tiny barnacle like attachments. The leaves and branches are covered in a sticky substance, which I can only presume is originating from these small bumps.
Firstly can anyone identify this and then advise how I can remove it
Thank you in advance.
regards
Peter
--
petermb

petermb wrote:

It is an insect pest variously called scale or wax - usually prefixed with the colour, eg white wax, brown scale. The lump looks different for different ages and probably there are several species that act similarly. The insect sucks the sap of the tree and makes the waxy lump for protection. A bad infestation will weaken the tree. If the tree is only small you can remove them by scraping with (say) a plastic knife. Otherwise spray with a systemic insecticide and/or diluted soluble oil (pest oil, summer oil), first check on the label for instructions and suitability. The wax will protect the insect from contact insecticides that don't contain oil.
David