asparagus - leave or replant?

I grew purple asparagus from seed 2 years ago, thought they had died but in spring suddenly found it was still alive in pots. Should have checked then what to do but just popped them into a raised bed I had empty - didn't do the trench/root spreading out I now realise I should have done! There are 9 plants in a block about 30cm apart, tops of roots just under the soil. Should I dig them up and do it properly or just leave them? They all produced fronds last year which I left, cut down in autumn. This year some have tiny fronds while others have huge shoots, one about 4 feet tall. Some are producing what looks like seeds already. I've been trying to keep the bed moist but it's been difficult in the dry weather. Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated ...

Reply to
Hillfilly

What exactly is wrong with where they are? If it is in full sun and can be left alone for some years then I would say leave them where they are. Assuming that you are now going from spring to summer then feed them now with plenty of organic matter and fertiliser, eg horse and chook manure. You will have to keep up the water but that would apply where ever you put them. If you feed them well they will grow 6 or 7 ft tall this summer and you will be able to cut some spears next spring.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Leave them this summer and then dig them up and plant them properly when they are resting which would be whatever time of the year is considered the optimal time in your area. Here I'd do it in midwinter in June, but I dont' know what time would suit your area.

Reply to
FarmI

Thanks David, the bed is very sunny, so I'll get manuring & see how tall I can get them.

Hf

Reply to
Hillfilly