Asparagus confusion

I'm somewhat enamored with the idea of crops you don't have to plant every year, so I've bought some asparagus, after much searching. It's a ferny looking thing in a 1 quart.

The more I read about asparagus, the more confused I get. I'm in Atlanta, 7b, and this seems to need a hard freeze and is a cool season crop.

I've got a pretty sunny spot, but away from the irrigation. Or I can plant along a low retaining wall. How high does this get? Or perhaps it would be best to put it in a container? How deep? I'd like to not make a mistake that I might not realize for a couple years!

On another note, I'm depressed to find the big box stores are carrying a lot less drip irrigation supplies than the sundry lot they had last year. I had to go to 4 stores just to find drippers! The collection of timers however, has exploded. I was looking at a $24 Toro timer/valve that was wireless and also could connect to a moisture sensor and had multiple time options. $24, Zow! Must be lawn care that is driving all this technology. I suppose next they'll have one that tweets.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

You have one crown.

It is not a coll season crop and it does not need a hard freeze. Whether it would tolerate one I cannot say from experience. The new shoots start in spring (this is what you eat some of) and you let these grow up through summer. In autumn the tops will die and when they are all brown you cut them off at ground level. If you then mulch the roots I would expect that they would take quite cold conditions as they are dormant. Then next spring the shoots start from the roots again. It is essential to not cut the spears too long as you need plenty of healthy tops to grow to make food to store in the roots for next year. This is particularly important for new plants, depending on the age of your crowns you do not cut the first year or two.

About 2m (6-7ft). It needs full sun. Find a place where it can be left alone for 10 years or more.

Or perhaps

Not in a container. It has deep roots and needs to spread and to be fed regularly, preferably with magic horse pucks. One crown is not much use, estimate vary but a dozen or two would be more like it for a small family. You can propagate it from seeds as well as buying crowns but it takes longer.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Asparagus is grown in Zone 5 Ontario. Hard freezes are us...

Reply to
phorbin

What's a "magic horse puck"?

Reply to
Dan L.

What do you imagine the possibilities to be? You'll want to watch what you may be stepping into. (BTW, thanks David...)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Sounds like another name for a meadow wafer, or pasture pastry ;O)

Reply to
Billy

I prefer "Heifer Dust."

For the two people who haven't heard it, a (probably fake) garden tale:

Harry Truman was looking out a White House window one fine spring day and remarked, "Looks like it's time to get the gardeners to spread some manure on the lawns." Daughter: "Mommy, can't you get him to say 'fertilizer?' " Bess: "Honey, it's taken me twenty years to get him to say 'manure!' "

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Reply to
Gary Woods

Harry Truman on manure, circa 1973

Una

Reply to
Una

A must stop at the Altamont (Albany County NY) fair. The cow du jour is usually loaned from the 4-H barn nearby.