Asparagus

I planted 12 crowns this year, each have 1 long stem, like a fern. Ho
do I care for the plants the rest of this year
-- Mike S
the fern is the mature asparagus plant. keep watering them, and you might fertilize one last time about now. next year it is your call whether you want to harvest spears or give them one more year to build up. Most people give them the one more year.

Water them well, keep the ferns alive to nourish the roots. :-) I leave them in the winter and let them dry so they become a "frame" for the cover sheet I cover the bed with. I cut the dead ferns down in the spring.
The female ones will bloom and often produce a little red seed pod.
--
Om.

Mike S Wrote:

I try to put mulch around mine to keep them nurished. Also keep the weeded. Otherwise they pretty much take care of themselves. I do wai till the third year for harvesting and then you only harvest in th Spring. You leave them grow the rest of the season for nurishment fo the next year
-- Maryc
Keep them weeded also. Harvest them when the spears reach the size of a pencil. I bought 2 year old roots and harvested them the next year.
Dwayne