arugula germination

I'm a beginning vegetable gardener in Atlanta.

From seed, I've planted, snow peas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers, carrots and arugula several weeks ago.

It's all up and growing except the arugula. I planted this very shallow (less than a quarter inch) and have lightly watered the soil every day.

I'm thinking that I need to restart the arugula crop. What should I do this time?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Get fresh seed, I guess. Try germinating some of what you have left in a sterile potting mix. If anything comes up, you can transplant it out into the garden. But if your carrots came up ok and your arugula didn't, it seems to me that there is likely something wrong with the arugula seed.

I'm concerned about your mix of plants. If it's warm enough for melons and cucumbers, you're well past your ideal date for planting snow peas and arugula.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I think the seed was fresh and I believe Ferry Morse.

Try germinating some of what you have left

I see this bit about warm weather and cool weather plants, but it looked to me that they should all needed to be planted in early April. I suppose I should have put these in a starter tray earlier. The melons took a while to come up, as did the cukes, the snow peas took off. Next year I'll adjust as you suggested.

What green do you think I should put in place of the Arugula?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Do you like arugula? "Of colors and taste" and all that but I find the stuff vile, and it used to volunteer in the garden until I was able to eradicate it. Personally, I'd tell you to thank your lucky stars.

Reply to
Billy

Love arugala, especially the spicy. It reminds me of sunflower seeds.

I'd plant green beans instead, which reminds me I need to buy seed today. Okra and corn like it hot and both are fun to have, just for the plants themselves.

Kate - oh for enough room for a dozen rows of corn!

Reply to
kate

Here, here

Reply to
Steve Peek

This seems to be like coriander leaf. I would imagine there are other pungent herbs the same. Some love it and some hate it. I like it; SWMBO doesn't, we compromise.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Damn if I know! Being of a competitive nature, if Obama was growing Arugula, I was going to grow it. I'm not really sure what it tastes like.

I think it may be too late for spinach. The part of the garden I want to replant gets some mid day shade.

Jeff

"Of colors and taste" and all that but I find the

Reply to
Jeff

Summer greens

...hmmm... Some spinach-y stuff, like vegetable amaranth, New Zealand spinach, and Malabar spinach--this is a vine.

Another unusual summer green is red orach.

And there's a type of mallow that's grown for its leaves. I planted this once and let it go to seed. Pops up in the garden by itself, now.

Purslane, the weed, also available in a larger, more upright, and prettier cultivar.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz