Artichokes not budding

I planted four chokes in my front garden in early April. They are thriving but only one of them has produced any buds. The other three show no signs of budding. They are in the same bed, with the same watering schedule, fertilizer, etc., same plants fron the same nursery.
California Central Coast, zone 15-16. The commercial fields all around my town are full of chokes ready for harvest.
Why are mine not budding?
-Frank
--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com
Frank J Warner wrote:

I think you may have planted too late. Keep watering, they should produce next year. Mine come back year after year. The buds usually appear in late April - this year it was more like mid-May. I also didn't get very many this year so maybe it's just a bad year.
I'm in Silicon Valley so not too far from you.
Susan B.
sueb wrote:

The best artichoke plant I ever grew (Santa Barbara) didn't flower the first year. I remember continuing to fertilize with large amounts of fish emulsion all fall and winter, and the following spring the plant was giant.It produced over 100 artichokes that spring and into summer. Give it lots of nitrogen and watch out.

Thanks, all. I'll wait another season for the other three. Maybe calve off the one that's producing a little earlier next year.
-Frank
--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /

Artichokes need a chilling period to bud. Like a week or two under 50 degrees. You'll probably have to wait until next year or this winter, then you'll get chokes.
Jan
--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.