Artichoke

I live in the Mojave desert in California (I don't know what zone it is). My question is, since the area I live in freezes in the winter, can I grow artichokes here? Will they make it through the winter or will they die on me?

Reply to
Walt Brothers

extincted

I can't think of a worse place for artichokes. It freezes, and it is a desert. They need water, and mild temperatures. Grow okra or watermelon instead.

Reply to
simy1

Mojave Desert USDA zone 8, Sunset Zone 11 I'm in Kern County (valley; USDA zone 9; Sunset Zone 9ish) and we can grow artichokes here. UC Davis's Master Gardener book is awesome. A lot of it is available online free. Here's some info for artichokes; scroll down to home garden

's a site that you'll find very useful for all your gardening needs
is another helpful site

Reply to
Nicole H

Reply to
extincted

Mine handled winter frosts. They do die back but regenerate each year I've found. Then after a while it is suggested they get replaced.

Reply to
Loki

I've grown artichokes in the UK, and they have had frosts and snow during winter. They survived fine - they look a bit droopy and sad in the cold weather, but they come back to life OK when things warm up.

I think as long as the cold weather isn't really severe, and really prolonged, they will be OK.

Howard

Loki wrote:

Reply to
do_not_use_this_address_

Where in the Mojave Desert do you live? the weather is different every ten feet or so, , , A friend of mine grew great atichokes in his garden on a slope facing north. The nights here are in the 50's and the days right now are at or below 100 degrees, (mid to high 90's) We live in Ridgecrest. ca.

Reply to
Dr.Pepper

We Live in Lancaster. I have 2 plants growing in 10 gallon containers right now and they are doing great.

Reply to
WallyB