Artichoke

I live in the Mojave desert in California (I don't know what zone it is). My question is, since the area I live in freezes in the winter, can I grow artichokes here? Will they make it through the winter or will they die on me?
Walt Brothers wrote:

extincted wrote:

I can't think of a worse place for artichokes. It freezes, and it is a desert. They need water, and mild temperatures. Grow okra or watermelon instead.
Mojave Desert USDA zone 8, Sunset Zone 11 I'm in Kern County (valley; USDA zone 9; Sunset Zone 9ish) and we can grow artichokes here. UC Davis's Master Gardener book is awesome. A lot of it is available online free. Here's some info for artichokes; scroll down to home garden http://vric.ucdavis.edu/selectnewcrop.artichoke.htm
Here's a site that you'll find very useful for all your gardening needs http://vric.ucdavis.edu / www.sunset.com is another helpful site
Nicole

il Mon, 16 May 2005 20:22:00 -0700, "Walt Brothers" wrote:

Mine handled winter frosts. They do die back but regenerate each year I've found. Then after a while it is suggested they get replaced.
--
Cheers,
I've grown artichokes in the UK, and they have had frosts and snow during winter. They survived fine - they look a bit droopy and sad in the cold weather, but they come back to life OK when things warm up.
Loki wrote:

Where in the Mojave Desert do you live? the weather is different every ten feet or so, , , A friend of mine grew great atichokes in his garden on a slope facing north. The nights here are in the 50's and the days right now are at or below 100 degrees, (mid to high 90's) We live in Ridgecrest. ca.
On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:22:00 -0700, "Walt Brothers"

We Live in Lancaster. I have 2 plants growing in 10 gallon containers right now and they are doing great.