Are you guys into nutrition?

Do you grow veggies and fruits for the nutrition? That's why I'm doing it (except for the blackberries). If I eat only junk food, I have no energy and I feel terrible. Eating healthy is the only way I can get my energy back. It's also the key to fighting depression. I used to have chronic, severe depression until started eating fresh, raw vegetables and fish oil pills.
I read that old age begins at age 27-35 because that's when your body drastically reduces the amount of enzymes it produces, but you can get those enzymes from fruits and vegetables and especially sprouts.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

No. We grow them for freshness and taste and quality and variety. If they turn out to be more nutritious as well, fine, but that's a side effect for us. [snip]

You can read almost anything about health and nutrition, especially on the internet. In my opinion, a great deal of caution is needed to verify that the sources are reliable. In my experience, Google (and the like) is an abundant source for horseshit, which works better as a garden fertilizer than it is does as a nutritional supplement. -aem
On 2 May 2006 01:18:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I grow them for the flavour and the enjoyment of watching things grow. Nutrition is along for the ride. -- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a
For freshness, flavour, variety, fun and nutrition

Bullshit. The enzymes that make your body work are not those of plants, as you have entirely different metabolisms.
Yes fresh veges and fruit are good for you but not for that reason and eating a good diet does not suddenly become more important when you turn 35.
David

I garden organically because it's the cheapest way to obtain organic produce. It's not totally organic as I cannot always find the seed I want but I do what I can.
It's not about the sort of trendy "nutrition" bit you are talking about it works for me.
Ever notice how many folks are destroying their bodies in the name of "health"?
Loki

<Mark Twain> Be careful of reading health books. You may die of a misprint. </Mark Twain>
I grow organically because there's less to worry about. And pulling weeds for a couple of hours is _way_ cheaper than a shrink.

Oh yeah. Do you ever name the weeds before you pull them???? I do...
Loki
Loki wrote:

I've gone so far as to thank them.....
Kate