Are you 'breaking the rules' by growing fruit or vegetables in your flower beds?

Page 1 of 2
Who has a few veggies tucked in their flower beds? My mom always sneaks a container with a tomato plant into her side yard. She grows a bush variety so it doesn't take up too much space. It gets watered by the sprinklers automatically so she doesn't have to worry about it.
I've got a pepper growing in a side plot too. You don't notice it's a veggie until the peppers start turning colors. I've also got culinary sage growing, it has beautiful blue flowers in the spring too.
Who else is 'breaking the rules'? What are you growing?

I've thought about putting some onion in my mother's flower bed (more for bug and pest control than anything else), but I've got my own garden to tend. I did plant marigolds in my "edible" garden, though. They seemed to have lots of positive things they did for the garden with very little negative.
Breaking the rules? I guess, if you believe in pure flower and vegetable gardens. Gardeners for years have planted flowers as companions to vegetables.
We might still plant onion in the flower garden, if we start getting too many pests...
Puckdropper

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

A mix of garlic and marigolds actually seems to work pretty well.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I put garlic in my flower beds when they sprout, they help with aphids, so I guess I forgot to include those.
I've also heard that marigolds are good companions for vegetables. Plus, they'll attract bees and benificial insects.

Globe artichokes, great geometric folliage for the ornamental garden.
David

I've never been able to get artichokes to stay alive. :-( Not even potted 2 year old plants from the nursery...
What conditions do you give them? I live in South Central Texas near Austin.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

The climate here is warm temperate but can be very hot in summer (100F or more is fairly common) and cool in winter (around freezing) but it never snows or freezes. Artichokes quite like the cooler months here but go backwards when it is very hot. They also dislike it when it is very dry and I have to water carefully then. The soil is heavy and fertile.
The flowers are also rather attactive but if you leave them go that long I would have to come and scold you for inattention and carelessness.
David

I'm guessing the mistake I made then was leaving them in a pot. ;-)
I'd rarely let flowers mature. Too tasty! ;-d

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

I would guess it would be a good time to call the Ag advisor, to ask what you can do to remediate your garden to the likes of an artichoke.
--

Billy

In article

Probably a good idea. I did also once try putting them in one of the raised garden beds. They still died.
North side of the house tho', they might not have gotten enough sunlight. I should probably amend one of the "free" areas up front in the driveway and try some there.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

With water restrictions it's tough. The only idea I had was for misting on particularly hot days.
--

Billy

In article

Mm , good idea.
It needs to be kept wet then? As a thistle, I was always afraid of overwatering them. Perhaps that is what I did wrong???

Look at http://www.essortment.com/all/howtogrowarti_ozn.htm My biggest problem with them was snail and slug predation. More recently, it seems to be curiosity from our dogs and cats. A tomato arbor and chicken wire fixed that:-)
--

Billy

In article

Thanks for the link. :-)
Dark ale works best for me for slug predation. I don't have a problem with snails. The two native species, to date, have caused no plant damage. They are cleanup crew.
I have more of a problem with caterpillars but BT works for that.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
wrote in message news:ompomelet-> >

even
never
have
that
It sounds like it to me. We often have hot dry summers and the 'chokes struggle. This year we had a wet warm summer and they did fine while many curcurbits, tomatos, etc suffered a multitude of fungal problems.
David

Time for me to give it another try. Thanks. :-)
I picked my first ripe plum tomato this morning. I planted a better boy and a plum in one 30 gallon pot the first part of last November. I got a few tomatoes in February. I had put the pot into the greenhouse to protect it. The two vines are hyooge now and started setting about a month ago. I'm hand fertilizing the blooms. I can do that with just two plants. <G>
It really is time for me to move it out of there and re-stake it. It's getting to be too big and falling over.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

WHAT rules?
Mary

<snicker>

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
Laura from MomsRetro.com said:

I like to tuck herbs and edible* ornamental peppers in my container arrangements.
The only edibles in my flower beds (these days) are the daylilies.
But I do grow my giant zinnias (for cutting) in one of the beds of the veggie garden, as that's the only place they are protected from the local herbivores, who have demonstrated in the past that zinnias are on their "to be eaten first" list.
*Not by everyone's standard. They are hot, hot, HOT

After enlightenment, the laundry.
In article

Okra... ;-d