are all elderberries edible?

Are all varieties of elderberry edible?
Regards, Dianna _______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dianna Visek) wrote in message

All are edible. Some are good eating, some are sour and will have you run to the bathroom, all make good jelly.
I heard that the concentrate liquid is a cure-all for many ailments. Do any of you know anything about it?
(Dianna Visek) wrote

David wrote:

Black elder juice? It's used for lots of stuff in Germany, among other places. If you don't have that, black currant juice works just as well.
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dianna Visek) wrote:

IIRC, I think the wine in _Arsenic and Old Lace_ was made from elderberries. :)
message (Dianna Visek) wrote:

Indeed it was but the arsenic is optional.
David
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dianna Visek) wrote in message

The red elderberries and gold elderberries are inedible (but, ornamental and shade-tolerant). The American and black elderberry (native to Europe) are edible. Blue elderberries (native to Pacific Northwest) are OK in wine and preserves.
Technically, these are different species, rather than varieties.
There's more about Elderberries at: http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible4.html#ElderberryAmerican