Apple tree

I planted a 2 in 1 Stark "golden-red delicious" tree last year. It did well until this spring. The leaves are turning brown and curling. I can not find and insects or "nibbling" damage. The few blossoms that it had this year quickly turned brown and died. At first it was only on 3 small branches and so I removed them... disinfecting between cuts... and burned them. Now I think only the longest branches are not being affected... and I fear they soon will be. I have looked on-line for an image that matches what I see but I haven't had any luck. Any ideas would be grateful.

Homer,
From your description, it sounds like Fireblight to me. Check out the info on the following link for treatment and preventative measures.
Keith
I think KW may be correct about this being Fireblight. This disease can wipe out an entire orchard, so I would get rid of this tree if you think that selective pruning would not do the job.
I have never had luck with these 'combination' trees, but I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't work. I don't like doing business with Starks, mainly because they mass produce these trees and you don't know details like what root stock they were planted on. This tree could have been infected with Fireblight when Starks
sent it to you. Try a different nursery like Raintree in California, who are more selective about what they sell (I don't work for them).
Sherwin D.
KW wrote:

Thanks for the info! Fireblight is not prevalent here... I never thought of it already being sick when it arrived. Thank you all so very much.