Apple show near Chicago

My club, Midwest Fruit Explorers is putting on a show this weekend at the Morton Arboretum in Lisle Illinois (off of highway 88). Hours are 10am to 4:30pm on Oct 15 and Oct 16. Parking is $7, but our show is free, and you get to see the Arboretum, as well. We will have over 100 varieties of apples grown by our members on display. There will be other fruits, berries, and nuts too. There will be a demonstration of a working cider press. Our knowledgeable members will be there to answer all questions on how to grow these interesting things in your back yard.

Sherwin D.

Reply to
sherwindu

If soil drainage is your problem, there are some workarounds for that. You should amend your soil with sand and mulch to encourge drainage. Add peat to the soil if it is very heavy with clay. I just picked over 300 apples today from my semi-dwarf Hudson's Golden Gem in my yard, and my ground is as flat as you can get. I get pretty good results from my other 15 trees, as well. I'm not trying to brag or make you feel bad, but make you aware that unless you live in a very unusual place, you should be able to grow fruit in your backyard.

Sherw> I've learned that location is very important to growing apples. I will

Reply to
sherwindu