Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

Page 1 of 3
Hi All,
These are very nutritious seeds, loaded with omega-3s, etc and very expensive to buy - locally (California) about $1/ounce. Visit www.wikipedia.org and type chia to get lots of info.
I would like to know of your experiences in growing, harvesting and storing them.
TIA
RF
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah I bought 2 CHIA Herb Gardens last winter. They grew exactly as the instructions said they would. At first. Then they died.
All of them reached 2 inches in height within a few weeks as predicted. The Chives were the only thing (of 6 plantings) that survived to reach 3 inches.
Any attempt to do any thinning or separate anything from the CHIA "growing sponge" also killed it. Immediately. Everything.
Later I planted some leftover CHIA seeds in window boxes. They lived a little longer, but were always overgrown and shaded-out by store and ebay-bought seeds long before they reached maturity or produced anything useful. Long before.
I'm thinking who my worst enemy is to give them the remaining Herb Garden for Christmas. Somewhere in the instructions it clearly said "special hybrids". Yeah. Specialized to grow quick and die quicker.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

I've seen Chia growing in the wild.
Might be best as an outdoor plant?
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–
Omelet wrote:

Thanks Guys for the responsees.
I did a little digging this morning and found that the chia has grown wild as far north as Mondocino county in CA. I live in Sonoma. right next door, so it appears I am in the right place. Very important, once it starts to grow it needs no more water.
There is lots of info at the link:
http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/plantguides/shrubs/plantguide.asp?symbol=SACO6
Good planting and even better eating :-)
RF
Add pictures here
βœ–

They want to be dry sometimes but don't tolerate freezing. They were a staple of the Tribes of inland southern California (Luiseρo, Gabrieliρo, del Rey, etc.) who still grow and collect them. It grows wild along my hillside & we gather them sometimes. Tasty, especially roasted!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Melodious Thunk wrote:

We do get some frost here but it is mostly on the surface - rarely gets down far into the earth. If the roots are deep, it could survive. Presumably it is an annual and could be grown from Spring through the Fall. Anyone know if they are somewhat similar to flax seeds? When the flax seeds are soaked in water for a while, the result is a very clear slimy liquid, which acts as a strong laxative for many people.
RF
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, that is where I saw it. In California. :-)
We used to live there.
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–

Urkle. (Removing foot from mouth)
I misconstrued the question as a sneaky advertisement for the "brand" name CHIA, and had no idea there is an actual plant by that name... (Californian I am not)
[ "Ethnobotanic: Chia, the Spanish name for Salvia columbariae, is a plant [ of great economic importance to many Native American tribes in California..."
... Apologies all~~
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

You mean you missed the "chia pet" craze? :-) Mom had a pottery lion with the ridges for the chia seeds forming the lion's "Mane". It was really cute and she'd just trim the sprouts for salads.

C'est la ve. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–
Omelet wrote:

Predating the Chia Pet craze by decades, I remember, in the late 50's, having a pottery head of Alfred E. Newman, the Mad Magazine character. There was a hole in the top of his head, to add water I guess, and there were grooves all around where his hair would be, to put the seeds in. Don't know what seeds were supplied.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That ancient? <eg>

Yes, mom's Lion had a hole in the top of his head. Generally, chia pets were glazed except where the ridges for sprouting were. The seeds are mucilaginous so stick to where you plant them when they are wetted.

Chia. <g>
Mom had her chia pet in the late 60's, early 70's.
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–
Omelet wrote:

Predated the "Craze". Not the item, evidently.

Dunno. I was a tyke. I seem to remember that the whole head was unglazed, but, I can't really remember a detail like that.

Did she get it from Doctor Who? Could you imagine a Dahlek as a chia pet?
Add pictures here
βœ–
doofy wrote:

And I thought this was a .garden.edible newsgroup????
Are you guys cannibalizing your pets?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Heh!
Chia pets ARE edible plants!
Sprouts on a special clay planter, shaped usually like an animal of some sort.
The sprouts grew on the surface making it look "fuzzy":
<Googles> Huh. Looks like there are still a good variety available: http://ggchia.savontv.com/chia-misc-set.html
Might have to see if I can get one shipped fast as a Christmas gift for my sister. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–

Okay, you claim this chia is edible. Great! How is it used as food for humans?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Same as alfalfa sprouts.
Snip and eat. ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–
Omelet wrote:

Hi Omelet.
Funny, I have never heard of an Omelet eating seeds ;-)
Do these seeds do the same as flax seeds do to many people => Send them to the bathroom very frequently.
RF
Add pictures here
βœ–

Seeds go IN the Omelets. <g>
Especially sunflower and poppy...

No idea. :-) To us, it was just a salad item.
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.
βœ–

Om, you seem to be attracting an odd crowd;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
βœ–