anyone heard from Billy lately?

sent him a note some time ago and all is still quiet, i know he said they might be moving, but it would be nice to hear if someone knows what's up. this address is workable for e-mail...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Sorry songbird, I haven't seen him round for ages. But then just the other day I was wondering where you'd gone as I thought you'd been missing for some time.

Billy used to bait Frank in some other newsgroup so Frank may be able to say if he's still around.

Reply to
Fran Farmer

my ancient recycled computer froze up and i had to get a replacement motherboard (which is also used so i don't have much confidence it will last all that long either). as i'm not doing anything critical i didn't keep an up-to-date spare around.

i made Ma very happy by using this break and the rainy days as a way to get rid of half a closet full of old computers/computer parts and old/broken electronics i was keeping just in case i needed a part for something... five computer boxes was a bit too many. the guy who did the motherboard replacement is also a recycling drop off point which worked out very nicely. it is always an exercise in nostalgia. boxes of paperwork yet to wade through (the worms will be well fed :) ).

i just don't have the stomach to look in some of those groups after i took a peek a few months ago.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

He bugged us in tx.guns but has also been absent there. I crossposted songbirds note and only got a chuckle there. People come and go. I wish him well.

Reply to
Frank

Ah. You have my sympathies.

Our computer died last December whilst I was away and my husband had to get a new one. Bloody Microsoft and its stinking new software..... A pox on them for thinking that it was worth releasing on the world. I hate this sodding new software.

Well that sounds productive!

I've not looked and am not tempted either :-))

Lets hope Billy is OK and will return to us in the not too distant future. Is he a Facebook user??? Might you find him there if you know his real name?

Reply to
Fran Farmer

AFAIK it is Billy (William?) Rose

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

...computer froze...

it was ok. i didn't start having serious withdrawals and shaking until the start of the second week.

i'm running Debian (a Linux distribution) so there's not much Microsoft anything that i'm using any longer. i was just about to reformat the last partition on this machine which had my WinXP stuff on it, which no longer works now that the motherboard has been changed and there's no need for me to bother redoing it...

i really hate the recent changes in a lot of the software that i used to run (dumbed down so people can use it on "Smartphones" heh, right) and so switched to a different version which is more like what i want to use. thank goodness for each volunteer who makes it all work. i do my part by testing new versions and reporting bugs.

my hardware doesn't support high speed graphics or have a ton of memory so those new versions of programs were not running all that well, but my biggest problems with it all was the various assumptions about focus of windows and how to get things done which are much slower than i was used to working. it was like being forced to use a keyboard with a pencil eraser in my teeth. blech!

...getting rid of old computer parts...

making Ma happy once in a while is a good thing, but i try not to get in the habit as i don't want her to be as spoiled as i am. Lets hope Billy is OK and will return to us in the not too distant

no idea, i don't do FB any more than i do live journal or twitter. yep, hope he's doing fine and just getting moved like he mentioned he might be doing.

ok, back to weeding, we have this odd weather pattern today from a swirling high pressure zone so it rains for a few moments, then it goes away, so i'll see if i can get back out there...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Last Billy post I see was in tex.guns late January. With a name you do a google search which would give urls to other sites like Facebook. My name is easy to search as there are not many of us of the same name.

Too hot and humid to work outside.

Reply to
Frank