Anyone Grown Asparagus in Tubs?

I have too many ground critters who feast on my garden goodies, so I am trying to find out if there is some way of growing asparagus in tubs.
Any advice?
Boron

Asparagus is not a small plant, reaching 6ft high with bushy top growth. You will need a sheltered spot in full sun, if grown well it tends to get top heavy and blow over if exposed. It is a heavy feeder so you will need top class soil mix in your tub and to top it up with manure(s) yearly. The root system can become quite extensive and I suspect this will be your limiting factor even with large tubs. The running roots that go out from the crowns will probably end up going round and round inside the tub. And of course you will have to be religious with your watering during the growing season due to the limited water holding of even big tubs.
I reckon building a cage around plants in the ground might be better, your bed need be only about 3 X 6 ft (depending on need) so you are not looking at the Eiffel tower. What sort of critters must be kept out?
David
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 12:08:14 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

Groundhogs will dig under any fencing unless the entire things is sunk in cement. They will eat through any wooden enclosure.
Boron

Oooh! I have never met one, we don't have them here. This begins to look like a serious mission.
David
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 08:32:31 -0400, Boron Elgar

Asparagus seems to be a plant that takes lots of room.
The information in the " Rodale Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening" says that "50 plants are usually adequate for a family of four, but ardent asparagus lovers recommend tripling that amount. Planting instructions : dig 12" wide trench 6" - 8" deep and 4' apart. Set the crowns 1 1/2' - 2' apart." I think you would have to have one tub for each plant since I doubt that they take kindly to being moved.
We put in 100 crowns 3 years ago. Year 1, no picking. Year 2 pick for 2 weeks and year 3 we can pick for about 1 month. Those figures may no be exact. We have yet to pick more than we can use. Whenever we start getting more that we can eat, I will start pickling them and freezing some for soup. Emeril's recipe for asparagus soup is great since it uses the whole spear, including the tough bottom part.
A neighbor saw the asparagus bed in the fall and wanted to know what kind of trees they were.
--
Susan N.

This seems rather a lot to me. The books I have recommend 24 plants per family of four. I have about 20 for the two of us but we are quite fond of it. Last year we had about 6 meals off 2 year old plants (I only cut lightly) and I expect to get three times that or more next spring.
David

I get the feeling I'll be shopping for my asparagus, rather than growing it.
Boron

How about planting in a watering trough for livestock....a big rubbermaid one?? Drill a little drainage in the bottom for sure, and feed heavily as mentioned. Nan in DE

Too big for the deck, unfortunately.
Boron