Anyone ever shave a cactus, edible (or inedible)?

Has anyone done this to make it safer? My friend is always ending up with thorns in her skin, so I wondered if I could use an electric razor on it to help protect her. Thanks.

Reply to
dale662

You need to remove the little bump that the thorn protrudes from as well. You might try a vegetable peeler, and gloves.

Reply to
Billy

Most cattle ranchers use blow torches.

Seriously.

Reply to
Omelet

Good how-to info and pics from Rolly's site: he usually hangs out in Alt.Food.Mexican.Cooking but maybe taking the summer off:

don't do cacti well up here in Western WA State so I buy them in a jar and bonus by saving the hassle of the little no-see-em thorns. Here is a link if you don't have them in your stores.

gunner

k.com/nopales.htm

Thanks to all who responded. However, I meant "How to take thorns off an _ornamental_ cactus." Thanks again.

Reply to
dale662

Seriously, you could try a small torch and apply it carefully...

Reply to
Omelet

On the ranch in AZ we routinely used to prickley pear for the cattle. Fire did not seem to harm the cactus.

Reply to
Rick

I'd heard of that here in Texas too. That's why I mentioned it. :-)

Reply to
Omelet