Ants on Citrus

Hi everyone. I trust that the wealth of knowledge available will be able to assist me here.
We have just planted 4 foot citrus trees in our 1 acre allotment. I have noticed ants clambering all over the trees, particularly up near new flowers and leaves. fruit buds are dropping, although this is the first season the trees have been in the ground. DO I HAVE A PROBLEM? ARE THE ANTS GOING TO HARM MY TREES OR THE FRUITING CAPACITY OF THEM?
I look forward to any assistance Cheers
Andy
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:45:31 +1100, "Andrew Watson"

I don't know about down under, but in Ariz. this was very common. The ants actually brought aphids to the citrus trees and "farmed" the aphids. We used to spray the trees in the orchards, but never bothered with those in the yard, which still seemed to produce just fine.
The ants wont, but they may be "ranching" scale insects, which can slow the tree down if they get out of hand. If you feel you need to intervene, check at a good nursery for a very light horticultural oil and instructions to control the scale. If the trees are still small and you have the patience, you can just rub the scale off with your hands--but watch out for thorns!