Ants

In a week or so (or later depending on which I decide) I'll be planting either peas or green beans in an area I've not planted before. I was digging there today (getting rid of the clay so I can put in some decent top soil ) and noticed what must be a huge ant colony. Thousands of ants. I know from sad experience what they can do to a corn crop. Does anyone know what I can use to eradicate them before I plant? Or will they not harm the peas or beans? Sue - San Joaquin Valley CA

Reply to
Sue

Sue wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Boiling water. It's organic!

Reply to
Charles Quinn

Water is about as inorganic as it gets--no carbon at all!

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Amdro.

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Sue I'm in the San Joaquin Valley and my peas are almost done. It's cooled back down so they may get another couple of weeks but it would be too warm if I just put seeds in the ground. Beans are warm season and peas are cool season.

I have a problem with the CA fire ants. I've used Diatomaceous earth (not the pool kind) since I can't use chemicals (at an elementary school).

Reply to
Nicole

Yeah. I figured it was too late for the peas so it will probably be beans.

I'll have to look up this Diatomaceous earth stuff. No time at the moment. I have no idea what kind of ants I have. They look like the common house type.

out what the attractant is. I don't seem to have anything there that would cause "honeydew". Thanks for all your help. I haven't yet ordered that book you suggested. Better get to it as the season is fast approaching. Sue

Reply to
Sue

I've had good luck with ammonia.

Reply to