Another picking party

Went out around 0630 this morning and picked a peck of peppers, tomatoes, crowder peas, eggplant, and six ripe figs. I was startled to see ripe figs already but will eat them anyway.

The last few days of light rain and lots of sunshine appears to have sped up the ripening of various crops. Alas, no blueberries, they seem to have disappeared before ripening. Probably due to so much rain this season.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Or rodents. Or birds.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

We did find evidence this morning that a rat or something similar had been in the garden munching on a tomato. Probably coming in from the retention pond area behind us.

I notified the HOA about a family of nutria rats living there but they don't seem interested. They will get interested when the nutria breach the levee with their tunneling. Also saw a nice, big turtle about two feet in diameter in the pond. May just have to poach that rascal, looks like some really good meat there.

We occasionally get a water snake up here when the pond gets really low. Scares the heck out of you until you realize what it is. I shoo them away with a corn broom and they generally go. They're useful critters for eating vermin, etc. I do prefer King snakes in the yard as they eat poisonous snakes, plus any other snake too.

Reply to
George Shirley