anise or fennel?

Page 2 of 2
Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

He didn't want to hybridize anything. He wanted a picture of all the genera in botany, showing just how they are related to each other, and how close they are genetically. Dunno how old he is, but that's a tall order for somebody who doesn't know if cilantro and parsley belong to the Apiaceae.
Anyway, such a pretty picture would certainly be possible if botanists could only agree on genera ... and it's possible that such beasts are available online, but by what I can see, Matthew didn't even try a google search.
And I'm an old enough fart that my reaction to a question that requires years and years of research is to tell'em to do it themselves. Ditto for questions that can be answered with a simple web search, which I have no idea if this one is... but neither does Matthew, eh?
Whatever. The question is certainly off-topic on rec.gardens.edible... follow-up set.
Henriette
--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
|I can't offhand think of any particular reason why anyone |would WANT a parsley/cilantro cross.
It would be nice if there were a parsley with a slightly different flavor.
|BTW, you can't bypass Darwin and Mendel...they didn't come |up with wild surmises, but worked out and elucidated some of |the laws of nature: how things actually work in the real |world. | |I suppose you could make a GMO cross: gentically-engineered |cross - gene splicing. But again: why would you WANT to?
There are lots of reasons why a person might want to create new plants never seen before. Curiosity sometimes is its own reason for doing things, but I suppose there are more practical reasons for doing things. For instance, a higher concentration of oils in the leaves (or even the roots or bulbs) is a good reason for creating a hybrid. Different colors of leaves or flowers is also a good reason for creating a hybrid, especially if you anticipate marketing the product to small scale home gardeners that like to mix as many of their plants into the same plot as possible.
Pat Meadows said:

In the hopes of getting a cilantro-flavored plant that will produce leaves for an entire season without bolting. (Not exactly a fortune-making enterprise, to be sure.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:19:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

This would be good. I hadn't though of that. I bet it could make someone's fortune....Having either one as a hardy perennial would also be good.
You know what, though: I bought Slow-Bolt cilantro seeds from Pinetree and I had quite a few cuttings from them - they lasted for weeks and weeks and weeks.
Pat
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Dunno about that ... look what a dollar a plant did for the guy who bred Mortgage Lifter.
Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)
<< Dunno about that ... look what a dollar a plant did for the guy who bred Mortgage Lifter. >><BR><BR>
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Iris Cohen) wrote:

Mortgage Lifter is an heritage tomato cultivar.
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:38:55 -0400, Noydb

I'm a little doubtful about the story (which is reported as both $1/plant and $1/per tomato). Given an average income of $40/wk in 1941, that would have made the cost of one plant or tomato about $12 today, and I can hardly believe there would be many takers. 'Radiator Charlie' may have indeed paid off his mortgage with successful sales of plants and/or fruit, but not at $1 each. Tales of a "four pound fruit" also sound a little suspect. I weighed a softball-sized tomato yesterday ('Celebrity') that was just about 1 pound. A 4lb tomato would, IMHO, be in the same category as a 500lb pumpkin -- possible to grow and enter into a contest, but hardly a very practical food crop. I know a number of posters are growing Mortgage Lifter. Any 4lb tomatoes?

Florence fennel (a variety grown for its swollen leaf base) is often sold in markets as anise and fennel is often referred to popularly as anise.