Angelica

Does anyone have any experience of grwoing Angelica?
I have a small plant in a pot and want to plant it out in the garden. I assume by the look of it that it will like some protection from the savage summer heat (thus semi shade), but what soil conditions does it enjoy and how much water does it like? Anyone know please?

Yes, you are correct that it needs some shade during the hot time of day. It prefers rich, well drained soil and moisture. Drainage is important and it does need some summer water.
Angelica is a biennial, sort-of. If you cut off the flowering stalks before they set seed, it will grow for several years. It has a large tap root, so take care when transplanting it.
It is a very attractive plant, which I haven't grown for awhile. I think will go up in the mountains this summer and get some native seeds Emilie NorCal

Thanks for the advice Emilie. Have you ever tried candying the stems? I love candied Angelica and, since I have not seen candied angelica in the shops for decades, that is one of the reasons why I want to try growing it.

No, sorry, but I never really did anything with my angelica. Just enjoyed it in the garden. Maybe I will try candying it this time. Enjoy your plants. mle