Amazing !

Page 2 of 3
says...

Still haven't worked out the USENET issue.
Let me suggest to you that we have no history with you and you have no history with USENET.
This is a rough, rough and tumble place. If you survive your first encounters with it and ...read "If" by Kipling and maybe Desiderata you'll know everything you need to be on USENET.
Poseurs, wannabee experts, scam artists and besserwissers(sic) are a dime a dozen aroud usenet so you will see little trust and less tolerance.
If you have something useful to contribute, then contribute. If you want to be accepted, be acceptable. If you want us to take you at face value, develop a face that we can take at face value.
-- I repeat this in slightly different ways every time a newb jumps neck deep and needs to be hit with a clue by four.
The only thing we know about you are your words. The face you wear in the newsgroup takes the shape of your words. You get to choose just how loveable, or likeable or inconstant, or haughty, or intelligent, or humble, or stable that face is. -- And we get to react to it.
Who you are, or were, in the world is relevant to the experience you bring to your words *but* because we can only see your words any claim you make has to be evaluated over time. If you think it should, or could be any different you must consider the medium the issues of anonymity and the poseurs, wannabees etc..
Usenet and email are two media that give you more than ample opportunity to be unintentionally offensive. Much of the way we use language internally or with our friends has to be modified or eliminated to get the message across without igniting brushfires. Humour, btw, is often incendiary, -- It still devolves to your words and what you choose to put in them and what you choose to do after the fact.
Do look up eternal september on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
Very well written.

    LOL! eternal-september is yet another domain from which I block all NNTP traffic. IME, it is aptly named....

Have another drink ;O)
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net says...

Blocking a domain seems a bit extreme to me.
Some of the best people in my favourite newsgroups use eternal-september to post because their ISPs dropped USENET and the economy has taken a toll.
I figure most worthwhile people will get a clue if they didn't have it to start with.
Beanman wrote:

This is usenet, the simplest way to deal with words you don't like is to ignore them. Unless your intention is create and perpetuate a ruckus using your perceived slights what would have been wrong with sticking to the question that you raised, that is beans? We are not all hostile but if you keep being so precious that may change.
So once more tell me about "heritage" beans.
David
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I see plenty of repartee but no reply to me, or anybody, of substance. Perhaps the interest in beans was just gas.
David

Be this what you are lookin' for Beanie http://www.seedsavers.org/Items.aspx?hierId

You ever have that dream where you are walking about in public in your undies or butt-nekkid? Feelin' kinda em-bare-assed, and all that?
Guess what, maroon....this ain't a dream.
You need some of that edumcation when it come to this here interwebs stuff, dude!
Shoot, maybe you jest be funnin' us a bit, eh?
Charlie

Hostile? You betcha! You can blame yourself for that. You did after all make the following comments: 1) ... this forum grows.... 2) i dont know why people familiar to veg growing dont know what im talking about,has been lot of talk recent years about saving these varieties. Can you all be newcomers to this hobby. 3) none of

What is so wrong with what you said is: 1) You don't know the difference between a newsgroup and a forum. 2) You don't know that usenet does not have registered users and those tossers at Garden Banter are infringeing my copyright and that of other newsgroup users. 3) You assume that just because you call something a particular name then everyone else will use the same name.
Frankly i find the attitude of you all

Well if you are upset then you need to go away and learn a few things. First learn not to be so arrogant and looking at an atlas may help you do that. Second, learn the difference between a forum and a newsgroup. Third, learn some manners.
says...

Gardening may be a hobby to you. For some of us, possibly all of us, it is survival.
This is rec.gardens.edible on USENET. It is not gardenbanter.co.uk.
Gardenbanter piggybacks on USENET and picks up newsgroup feeds from Giganews.
You are using gardenbanter to read USENET which makes you a newb UK reader of USENET rec.gardens.edible through gardenbanter...
Look up eternal september on wikipedia
If you want to use a newsreader and your ISP doesn't supply USENET, have a look at http://www.eternal-september.org /

Hey, I was going to mention this very thing, regarding hobby vs. survival!
I feel we are witnessing/have witnessed the death of the Usenet, by limitation and elimination of access by many providers. Outfits like google and banter pander to the newbs, maroons, and illiterate (regarding usenet and such). Lowest common denominator and all that....stuff.

There are several groups working on different aspects of this in our area and we're connected to all of them including the city's food security working group.
This survival stuff is a very big deal.

I've been online for nearly 30 years and remember the AOL dazed.
If USENET failed completely, I'd look for some other text based option either using the internet or perhaps some variant of echomail.
I believe absolutely that the world needs international communication systems that are indestructible, unstoppable and very hard for any government to regulate.
Hi All,
Charlie says...

I agree with you entirely, But if it will suceed is a another matter.
Richard M. Watkin.

says...

Could you elaborate a bit?
Hi All,

you must have seen the government trying to regulate the web. They are allways on about all the bad things about it. they will keep trying untill they find a chink in the armour. China is a classic example.
Richard M. Watkin.
says...

Yeah but I'm talking about other tech modalities.
Echomail uses modems and a mail forwarding system. It wasn't part of the internet per se. It's archaic in computer years and saw its best years in the 80s. Just that it existed and was able to daisy chain local calls cross country and avoid long distance charges suggests that smart people bent on communicating can make regulation a nightmare.
Streetsong has been used to transmit news through oppressed communities.
We have wireless lans, cellular phones, etc. etc. etc. There have to be inventive ways of leveraging against the technology to add more perversity to the universe.
phorbin wrote:

This has gotten really off topic, but it seems some don't have a clue of how they got here. Do you really think USENET is about to fail? I don't. Read on:
"Usenet (USEr NETwork) A public access network on the Internet that provides user news and group e-mail. It is a giant, dispersed bulletin board that is maintained by volunteers who provide news and mail feeds to other nodes. All the news that travels over the Internet is called "NetNews," and a running collection of messages about a particular subject is called a "newsgroup."
Humble Beginnings Usenet began in 1979 as a bulletin board between two universities in North Carolina. Today, there are more than 50,000 newsgroups, and news can be read with a news-enabled Web browser, popular newsreader applications such as News Rover (www.newsrover.com) or via venerable Unix-based utilities such as pine, tin and nn"
Windows and it's fore runner dos, was still a dream. At that time most of us that had computers at home was using an operating system that the short name was CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers) and everyone using it had to have a working knowledge of the program and the newsgroups at the time were called Bulletin Boards and most were privately owned and operated. There are just too many systems storing these newsgroup all over this Earth for any political group to shut them down. I live in the USA, post to a server in Germany and read off Earthlink in the USA. After I post this in Germany, most of you will have access to it within minutes and all will have it within a couple of hours!!
Tom J
@earthlink.net says...

Consider for a moment the centralization of carriage in fewer servers as more ISPs and institutions opt out of the expense of maintaining servers and/or opt out of connecting to USENET completely forcing users to buy a feed from superservers.
IMO this kind of creeping systemic failure will mean nothing until it means something. The more centralization there is, the more vulnerable the system.

And once it means something, where does that leave us?
I guess this was my point, regarding the death of the Usenet, not so clearly explained (only a statement that I left to others to interpret) as in several of your posts in this thread. This applies not only to the Usenet, but to many systems and media, and in a broader sense, society in general.
At what point do we go Bageant and basically abandon technology and try to live life on a day to day basis...on a basic basis, as most of the people on this planet live? What advantage do we gain, powerless as we are and likely will remain, by having access to "news" and info exchange that may be of questionable reliabilility?
Perhaps you would find the following of interest, perhaps not...Joe's reply to the poster's questioning has meaning for me.
As an american and fed a diet of lies and revisionism, having my worldview and personal viewpoint shaped by such for so many decades, I don't know that it is possible for me to have an objective view of the world. It is a struggle to even understand what must be unlearned while learning.
http://www.joebageant.com/joe/2010/03/hope-is-for.html
Charlie
"There are truths on this side of the Pyranees, which are falsehoods on the other." ~ Blaise Pascal