Amazing !

There are several groups working on different aspects of this in our area and we're connected to all of them including the city's food security working group.

This survival stuff is a very big deal.

I've been online for nearly 30 years and remember the AOL dazed.

If USENET failed completely, I'd look for some other text based option either using the internet or perhaps some variant of echomail.

I believe absolutely that the world needs international communication systems that are indestructible, unstoppable and very hard for any government to regulate.

Reply to
phorbin

You seem to be the biggest **** around. In the future, use Beano ' cause you stink, and you can stick that toffee nose of yours up your ***. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

He never could answer a single question about gardening. Wot a stoopid git.

Reply to
Billy

count i had 27 varieties for drying alone plus at least a dozen for fresh use. Im no amateur either,been growing veg for nearly 40 years, also had market garden for a time. Am i still an amateur then! you tell me.

Reply to
Beanman

You'll have to forgive me. I'm not myself today. I have a rock garden, and yesterday, 3 of them died ;O)

Oh, well, so much for mourning.

Well then, brimming with hubris are ye? You started this conversation, so you can go first. For a man such as yourself, it shouldn't be anything at all, just a stroll down memory lane, to tell us of your beans' provenance, genus, and their names, eh?

I'll just get a pencil and paper, and a pint of Guiness (breakfast of champions), and await your response with baited breath (Sorry about that, it's always like that in the morning.). Of course, if you can't respond, I'll understand ;O))

Reply to
Billy

I agree with you entirely, But if it will suceed is a another matter.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M Watkin

Could you elaborate a bit?

Reply to
phorbin

Hi All,

you must have seen the government trying to regulate the web. They are allways on about all the bad things about it. they will keep trying untill they find a chink in the armour. China is a classic example.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M Watkin

This has gotten really off topic, but it seems some don't have a clue of how they got here. Do you really think USENET is about to fail? I don't. Read on:

"Usenet (USEr NETwork) A public access network on the Internet that provides user news and group e-mail. It is a giant, dispersed bulletin board that is maintained by volunteers who provide news and mail feeds to other nodes. All the news that travels over the Internet is called "NetNews," and a running collection of messages about a particular subject is called a "newsgroup."

Humble Beginnings Usenet began in 1979 as a bulletin board between two universities in North Carolina. Today, there are more than 50,000 newsgroups, and news can be read with a news-enabled Web browser, popular newsreader applications such as News Rover

or via venerable Unix-based utilities such as pine, tin and nn"

Windows and it's fore runner dos, was still a dream. At that time most of us that had computers at home was using an operating system that the short name was CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers) and everyone using it had to have a working knowledge of the program and the newsgroups at the time were called Bulletin Boards and most were privately owned and operated. There are just too many systems storing these newsgroup all over this Earth for any political group to shut them down. I live in the USA, post to a server in Germany and read off Earthlink in the USA. After I post this in Germany, most of you will have access to it within minutes and all will have it within a couple of hours!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

I see plenty of repartee but no reply to me, or anybody, of substance. Perhaps the interest in beans was just gas.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Yeah but I'm talking about other tech modalities.

Echomail uses modems and a mail forwarding system. It wasn't part of the internet per se. It's archaic in computer years and saw its best years in the 80s. Just that it existed and was able to daisy chain local calls cross country and avoid long distance charges suggests that smart people bent on communicating can make regulation a nightmare.

Streetsong has been used to transmit news through oppressed communities.

We have wireless lans, cellular phones, etc. etc. etc. There have to be inventive ways of leveraging against the technology to add more perversity to the universe.

Reply to
phorbin

Hostile? You betcha! You can blame yourself for that. You did after all make the following comments:

1) ... this forum grows.... 2) i dont know why people familiar to veg growing dont know what im talking about,has been lot of talk recent years about saving these varieties. Can you all be newcomers to this hobby. 3) none of

What is so wrong with what you said is:

1) You don't know the difference between a newsgroup and a forum. 2) You don't know that usenet does not have registered users and those tossers at Garden Banter are infringeing my copyright and that of other newsgroup users. 3) You assume that just because you call something a particular name then everyone else will use the same name.

Frankly i find the attitude of you all

Well if you are upset then you need to go away and learn a few things. First learn not to be so arrogant and looking at an atlas may help you do that. Second, learn the difference between a forum and a newsgroup. Third, learn some manners.

Reply to
FarmI

Be this what you are lookin' for Beanie

Billy

Still haven't worked out the USENET issue.

Let me suggest to you that we have no history with you and you have no history with USENET.

This is a rough, rough and tumble place. If you survive your first encounters with it and ...read "If" by Kipling and maybe Desiderata you'll know everything you need to be on USENET.

Poseurs, wannabee experts, scam artists and besserwissers(sic) are a dime a dozen aroud usenet so you will see little trust and less tolerance.

If you have something useful to contribute, then contribute. If you want to be accepted, be acceptable. If you want us to take you at face value, develop a face that we can take at face value.

-- I repeat this in slightly different ways every time a newb jumps neck deep and needs to be hit with a clue by four.

The only thing we know about you are your words. The face you wear in the newsgroup takes the shape of your words. You get to choose just how loveable, or likeable or inconstant, or haughty, or intelligent, or humble, or stable that face is. -- And we get to react to it.

Who you are, or were, in the world is relevant to the experience you bring to your words *but* because we can only see your words any claim you make has to be evaluated over time. If you think it should, or could be any different you must consider the medium the issues of anonymity and the poseurs, wannabees etc..

Usenet and email are two media that give you more than ample opportunity to be unintentionally offensive. Much of the way we use language internally or with our friends has to be modified or eliminated to get the message across without igniting brushfires. Humour, btw, is often incendiary, -- It still devolves to your words and what you choose to put in them and what you choose to do after the fact.

Do look up eternal september on Wikipedia.

phorbin

I feel your pain! I felt the same way when my felt flowers died :(

Reply to
Dan L.

OK, Folks: Having read this thread, _now_ are you beginning to comprehend why certain of us reprobate whisky-drinking old curmudgeons have the totality of "gardenbanter.co.uk" twitted? LOL!

Reply to
<balvenieman

Consider for a moment the centralization of carriage in fewer servers as more ISPs and institutions opt out of the expense of maintaining servers and/or opt out of connecting to USENET completely forcing users to buy a feed from superservers.

IMO this kind of creeping systemic failure will mean nothing until it means something. The more centralization there is, the more vulnerable the system.

Reply to
phorbin

Very well written.

Reply to
Billy

We consumers of the finer dark-roasted malt beverages protest and demand the right to be equally curmudgeonly!

Gary Woods

Have another drink ;O)

Reply to
Billy

NNTP traffic. IME, it is aptly named....

Reply to
<balvenieman