Amazing !

Page 1 of 3
I find it hard to believe no one on this forum grows heritage beans apart from me, can that be.
--
Beanman

Why would you say that, other than an attempt to elicit responses?

means, unless it's the same as "heirloom" beans. In that case, I do and have for many years but just don't want to correspond with good old Bob about it. In point of fact, I have the whole of gardenbanter.co.uk "nfiltered". Gardenbanter is a bottom-feeding U.K. site attempting to capitalize on UUNET newsgroups by co-opting them as "their own" and presenting them inside a Web-based advertising vehicle. Sort of like AOL and WebTV did and Google is doing and with just as little class.
--
the Balvenieman
Running on single malt in U.S.A.

I am not Bob, Well in my opinion that is a good and fair question. However I will take a try at it and see what happens :)
=====================================================================Heritage Plants - Plants that are native to a specific location or region. (My Guess).
Heirloom Plants - is a cultivar that was commonly grown during earlier periods in human history, but which is not used in modern large-scale agriculture. (A Wikipedia Definition). ===================================================================== Am I growing heritage beans native to my location - probably not. Am I growing heirloom beans - yes.
I am not against any garden postings regardless of its point of origin. Everyone here also has the right to filter out what they do not want :)
Enjoy Life... Dan
--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Beanman wrote:

What do you mean by "heritage"? I grow open pollinated beans from a variety of sources, their provenance is not always clear and their names probably don't mean much in an international forum. I choose on the basis of:
- long and prolific bearing - stringless - tasty - disease resistance.
Is that heritage?
My favourite at the moment is a green bush bean sold by a commercial seed company (wait for it....... ) Mrs Fothergill. There is a pic of someone's grandma on the pack, how sweet. A patch about 1m square has been giving more tasty, tender, stringless beans continuously for 5 months than four can eat. They have survived grasshoppers, snails, drought and humid drizzle. Seed companies are not all ruthless predators who only want to hook you on F1s.
David
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote: > ;882095']Beanman wrote:-

> variety

> probably

> seed

> someone's

> can

> drizzle.

> on

To our american readers yes i mean heirloom,here in uk we call them heritage, frankly i dont know why people familiar to veg growing dont know what im talking about,has been lot of talk recent years about saving these varieties. Can you all be newcomers to this hobby.
--
Beanman

Troll sign verified. Plonk.

I grow them, but don't feel any need to talk about it, because I mainly use this NG to get help when I have a question or problem. --S.
Beanman wrote:

I am not from America and nor am I new to the hobby. But this is an international forum and words mean different things in different places and for all I know you are the newbie who doesn't know what the word means. I was just trying for clarity before we start talking past each other.
So having shown you mine how about you show me yours? What are your citeria for "heritage" varieties?
David

Good goin' David. When he creeps up, I'll drop the bag over him ;O))
'Billy[_10_ Wrote: > ;882206']In article hp5qjq$a0d$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net,

> and

> citeria

I dont know why you all seem to be hostile to my request, seems none of you are registered users anyway. Frankly i find the attitude of you all very upsetting not that im surprised, this is the most unfriendly forum i have ever been on.
--
Beanman

You do understand, don't you, that gardenbanter is NOT the group; they're simply forwarding posts to the usenet group via their web site. Nobody has to register to read or post to a usenet group, you just tell your reader to get the headers and/or posts to it. The "hostility" comes from accusing everybody else on the group from not knowing anything, whereas we are occasionally visited by people from gardenbanter who know everything. I've been gardening for a very long time, and I never cease to be amazed at what I don't know. What is your email, really? Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Just for your information, this is not the GardenBanter forum. They are forwarding your posts and our responses from a Usenet newsgroup named rec.gardens.edible. No one has to be registered to post here.
Time to kill file GardenBanter.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

OK Beanieman! What David said. I have been following this group (rec.gardens.edible) for a number of years and occasionally post when I figure I have something of value to the group. From my perspective, it's you who seem to be contributing as much or more to the unfriendliness of the group, than just about anyone I've encountered here. BTW, unless you're over age 55, I've probably been growing heirloom/heritage varieties since before you were born, just never felt the inclination to brag about it.
Ross.
snipped-for-privacy@forteinc.com;882263 Wrote: > On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 06:43:20 -0400, Beanman snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

I suggest you arogant bigheads get lost,people like you spoil these sites.ok so **** off
--
Beanman

says...

*This is not a site.*
You are using a site to access this and succumbing to the illusion that rec.gardens.edible is gardenbanter.
I access this newsgroup and about a hundred others for which I have little time through my ISP which aliases a link directly to Giganews a USENET server/provider.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
A free USENET feed can be had at
http://www.eternal-september.org /

You seem to be the biggest **** around. In the future, use Beano ' cause you stink, and you can stick that toffee nose of yours up your ***. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
He never could answer a single question about gardening. Wot a stoopid git.
'Billy[_10_ Wrote: > ;882328']In article snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk,

> of

> all

> forum

Ok Billy10 i wonder how many heritage bean varieties you grow,at my last count i had 27 varieties for drying alone plus at least a dozen for fresh use. Im no amateur either,been growing veg for nearly 40 years, also had market garden for a time. Am i still an amateur then! you tell me.
--
Beanman

You'll have to forgive me. I'm not myself today. I have a rock garden, and yesterday, 3 of them died ;O)
Oh, well, so much for mourning.
Well then, brimming with hubris are ye? You started this conversation, so you can go first. For a man such as yourself, it shouldn't be anything at all, just a stroll down memory lane, to tell us of your beans' provenance, genus, and their names, eh?
I'll just get a pencil and paper, and a pint of Guiness (breakfast of champions), and await your response with baited breath (Sorry about that, it's always like that in the morning.). Of course, if you can't respond, I'll understand ;O))
In article

I feel your pain! I felt the same way when my felt flowers died :(