aloe vera growing underplastic

We had first go at putting aloe plants outside (mid Scotland Uk) under plastic in begining of april but found the leaves going a sick yellow . have saved the lot by fostering them out to family members window sills and all but one have returned to vibrant green. Compost was normal slug damage high weather has been good/ warm since behind glass poly tunnel was a 450mm high medium sized type

Enlightendment needed, .. even ideas on what might be wrong

thanks in advance

Reply to
jim

Too much sun, I think. I tried tried something similar this winter and they weren't pleased. I brought them back in until there was enough shade outside. My neighbor puts them out in full sun every year and they all get sunburned until we convince him to put them in the shade.

HTH,

Kate

Reply to
kate

manty thanks Kate Think you are 100% correct

Reply to
jim

Aloe is *very* tough. My Mum has it growing out in the full Australian sun all summer, in a bed with no shade and with a few dozen days of 30+ temps, so I doubt that your Scottish sunshine will knock it about much. :-)

Sure, it develops an orange or russett colour around the edges and tips of the leaves, but it struggles on unfazed and during winter when the sun is not so fierce the leaf colour returns to its verdant green. No damage is done, and the main thing is that its juice soothes scorched fingers and sunburnt shoulders just as effectively!

-- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

Reply to
John Savage

Man, AV is the scourge of Phx. People put it in pots and in the ground, and it's so freakin' tough that it just takes over and spills out over the ground. It keep spreading like crazy until it hits cement or a solid year of neglect.

I finally came to peace with AV by learning to harvest it, scrape the flesh out of the blades in long strips, blending it, and freezing it. That way through the summer I just pull out a tub of it and keep it in the fridge for burns.

Reply to
tenacity

Where it's a perennial, in the ground, it does great in full sun. The potted ones that have to go in every winter are a different story.

Indeed, a wonderful plant to have!

Kate

Reply to
kate