All American Canner

I can a lot of tomato juice each year and I am in the market for a 30 qt All American Canner. This unit will hold 16 quart jars of tomato juice. It will probably weigh about 80 pounds when I fill it. I process them in my basement. Is there a heavy duty gas (natural or propane) or electric burner that will support such a weight? Thanks, Richard

Reply to
richardg

Well rec.food.preserving would answer you better. However, I like my 20 qt 4 qt jars or 10 pint jar american canner. Smaller canners cool down faster and do double batches faster than larger ones. Weight and height is your enemy. I hope you do not have a microwave oven above your stove or you wont be able to use it. Your better off with two smaller canners than one big one. Try the the other newsgroup for better information.

Reply to
Dan L.

You could use the stand and propane burner that is used for a turkey fryer. It will easily hold that amount of weight. Not sure about the safety issue of doing it in your basement though.

Reply to
Thos

Also the heat needs to be adjustable for a pressure canner. However, a BWB water baths temperature does not need that much regulating. For tomatoes I usually use the BWB method.

Reply to
Dan L.