Advice needed for concord grapes

I just purchased two concord grape plants today, but don't know where to plant them. What conditions do they like? An old-timer told me to plant them in "the drip" of the house?? Help!! A7N8X-E Deluxe

1008 Bios 2X 512 Xerox PC3200 AMD Athlon XP2800+ Barton Windows XP Home GeForce FX 5200 128MB 3D Vision TV Tuner
Reply to
Wildbill

where is the best place to plant them?? A7N8X-E Deluxe

1008 Bios 2X 512 Xerox PC3200 AMD Athlon XP2800+ Barton Windows XP Home GeForce FX 5200 128MB 3D Vision TV Tuner
Reply to
Wildbill

You are going to have big problems with this setup, XP Home is going to leave you open to all sorts of viruses, fungi and molds. I'd suggest that you graft your grapes onto a MandrakeLinux root, there are no know fungi that grow on Linux.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Sorry about the signature, I usually post in the Asus group.

Back to C>>

Reply to
Wildbill

Make them in rows running North and South in full sun, 8 to 12 feet apart. I had to plant mine East and West due to soil conservation (I planted them on a slope), at least that is what the book says.

If you want any more information, contact me directly, and I can e-mail you my instruction sheet that I copied into my computer.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Seriously mold is a big problem and I suspect that planting them in a wet spot will make the problem worse. I don't know what works but I can tell you what doesn't. I have Concorde grapes planted on an arbor in a shady spot. I had one good year when I got a huge number of grapes, after that it's been completely unsuccessful. My grapes do fine for a few months but then they shrivel and die, The last few years have been very rainy which I think has contributed to the problem. Last year I sprayed them with fungicide at the beginning of the season but it didn't cure the problem. This year I'm going to try monthly applications of fungicide.

Commercial vineyards have their grapes planted in full sun, if I had a sunny spot in my yard (I don't) that's where I'd plant them.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

I have one Concord vine. It's called "Mr. Grapie". When my son was 3 or 4 (he's 9 now), he found this withered up vine in K-Mart one snowy MI winter. Since it was only $1.00, I bought it for him. We put it in the garage and planted it in the spring. Every day Kevin would use his toy bucket and take water out of his wading pool to feed "Mr. Grapie". It lived (point taken, plenty of water when transplanting...).

When we moved to NC 3 years ago, Mr. Grapie moved with us, and now has a home along the back fence.

Grapes get BIG, so I concentrated on where I had space for them, which means along the back fence. It is in partial sun. I have had no problems with fungus. I did have a big problem with Japanese Beetles last year, and treatments with Pyrethren was not real successful. Even so, I got 8 quarts of juice from that one vine.

Rich

Reply to
Rich McKinney