Adding hair to a compost pile

Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?
I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair. Has anyone done it? Does anyone have cites about it?
Thanks,
Dick
--
Richard D. Adams
Ellicott City, MD

Yes.
Yes
Only in books on composting - those books say that hair dressing asalons are a good source.
The only problem with it is that it tends to mat together so you've got to be a good compost turner. I'm not so tend to find chunks of uncomposted hair that I have to throw back into the next batch.
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote in

I used to throw dog hair clippings onto my compost pile. I live in a cool (sometimes very cold!) and I don't like to turn my piles more tha a few times over our short summer. I found that that hair would take more than a year to break down. It wasn't a big problem, but lumps of matted hair were a mild annoyance so I don't bother trying anymore. (Being organic matter, hair will break down eventually, but you will note that users of septic tanks are advised not to flush hair, and hair generally outlasts everything except bone in most conditions.)
Alfred Falk wrote:

I run my own aerated treatment system. You don't put anything down it that will bind or clog the various pipes and chambers, and that will not break down fairly quickly. Hair has a way of catching on any lip or sharp edge. The contents of my vacuum cleaner (dog and human hair included) goes in the compost not in the toilet.
David
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

seedling.
--