acorn squash

I've read similar things for a few years. Being a keen and active cook, I shudder at the thought, let alone the practice.

Yep. Typhoon Haiyan being a current example.

We are going to pass

What astounds me is that such a fact is not glaringly obvious to so many people. We're living in post peak oil world by every account I've ever managed to read on the subject and despite Himself's hobby of collecting and driving old cars, we still try to be careful about our use of fuel and in our purchasing of oil derived products. And as you'd know, oil derived products are just about everything in and around a modern day house.

I don't see myself as a doomsayer but I worry that the > transition will not be smooth.

I know what you mean. I've read the Transitions Handbook and a lot of the other literature but it seems that many people have not or if they do think aobut the issues, they start to soudn like some of the radical 'preppers' cites aroudn the web.

More sane, middle class people need to start thinking aobut the issues and voting according to what they learn IMO. Additionally it wouldn't hurt if they started gardens and learned some of the old skills such as learngint or elaly cook not just assemble ingredients. I might someday come in handy.

Many people would not be aware that in this

When I was interested in the Depression, I was fascinated when I found out in my research that apparently Australia and Germany had the highest unemployment rates during the Depression years. I'd always thought the US was more impacted than anywhere else on earth but I guess the majority of all images we have ever seen about the Depression come from the US. The photographers they had in the US at that time were icons of B&W photgraphic 'art' and, even today, looking at their images still manages to say a lot about the human condition IMO.

Reply to
Farm1

David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

i hope for a long and slow but steady decline in some aspects, but i have yet to see any civilization in historical records that just fades quietly.

the amount of debt and the various ways the current system is set up means that to unravel it will take quite a bit. to do it slowly, orderly and with restraint isn't in the lexicon of any society i've ever examined.

i'm not in the cities, but close enough that it is unlikely i would survive a diaspora event here. there's just too many of "them" and too few of "us".

songbird

Reply to
songbird