Absolute Beginner: Growing Own veg

Hello all
Moved into a new house with a good garden and a dream of growing my ow veg. I'm starting small and working up!
I have dug out a small plot and given it a generous covering o compost.
Then i went off down to the garden centre to get my seeds and foun that this is the worst time of year to plant anything!
Can any one help me - what can i plant now from seed? or can i bu sowed seeds from somewhere?
Thanks
Darre
-- DarrenH

It's not the worst time of year to plant if you want to grow winter veggies. :-)
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chard, Cabbage...
Any of the Cruciferous veggies.
Greens.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

some cold tolerant lettuces fi started soon, spring onions, cold tolerant peas if started now. I got all of those plus broccoli plus bok choy and endives on the go before winter.
rob

Oh, and isn't garlic a fall planted crop also? I've got a bunch in the 'frige that have 4" long sprouts on them. (Garlic that did not get eaten in time).
I'll probably break the cloves apart and stick those in the ground here shortly. <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Yup, plant in the fall and harvest late spring to early summer.
Fall (especially early fall) is also a good time to put in perennials like rhubarb and blueberries/bilberries/lingonberries/etc (acidic soil required for the latter group).

Some of the best spinach I ever ate was planted this time of the year. Wintered right through. Thought I'd try to duplicate the experience and recently planted a few short rows.
g'day darren,
we welcome you to visit our site and see how we do our gardens very easy works great.
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:38:17 +0100, DarrenH
snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /

Well since you don't say where you are it is hard to be specific. Assuming that you are northern hemisphere and heading into autumn now you should be looking at cool season veges, even that will depend on how cold your winter is likely to be.
Instead of me waffling on from the other side of the world here are some ways to get good information.
1) Find a local garden centre or nursery, not a market that happens to have plants, who know what they are doing (sometimes easier said than done) and ask them. It sounds like the one you went to isn't much good. They should also be able to supply you with seedlings which will give you a head start over seeds.
2) Find a book that covers the sort of things you want to grow and is aimed at your climate. Advice for the wrong hemisphere or a region much hotter or colder than you will be very confusing or just plain wrong. Ask people in (1) or (3) for advice on what book.
3) Join a local garden club or organic growers club and ask the same sort of questions.
When you have specific issues ask here (and describe your situation more) and I am sure somebody will help.
David

Just where are you, the recommendation for Portland, ME may be different than that Yuma, Az.
--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

It's the best time to plant lettuce if you have a cold frame. Anything short of a hard freeze won't hurt it. The bugs, however, are history with the first frost.

Garden centers around here are selling xmas decorations. No seeds, unless I've saved some.