a few recent pics

a few of these you might have seen before:

from a berry bush the bluebirds love in the late summer/early fall:

our visiting juvenile hawk that wandered around the yard for a few days:

one of the many blue birds around:

and some sunflower pictures:

peace,

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I want some of them! What gorgeous birds.

Have you ever wondered why that iconic British song has the line about there be blue birds over the white cliffs of Dover? No blue birds in the UK so far as I know. I suppose the song could have been written by an American. Must find out when I get a round tuit.

Reply to
Farm1

the reason those red stems are empty is that the bluebirds love to eat the berries off those plants. they are known as the eastern bluebirds.

we have a flock of about thirty of the bluebirds hanging around here this summer. so they've done well with the local fields and habitat. they like the grasshoppers and other bugs. we don't feed them other than what they forage, but the bird baths keep them coming back. they need open spaces for nesting and people have built boxes for them because at one time their population was in decline. they seem to be doing ok now.

they have a definite pecking order, quite funny to watch around the bird baths.

perhaps they were talking about blue jays?

if you get a chance some time look up the mountain bluebird and the western bluebird, there might also be another really blue bird i'm thinking of that lives out west, but perhaps it is the mountain bluebird. i have a picture around that my sister sent me and i have to dig it up to compare it to know for sure.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

songbird wrote: ...

it was the mountain bluebird. she has a bird- bath that my Ma built for her that was filled with a group of them. very pretty birdies and i don't think they are as shy as the eastern bluebirds seem to be.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Another very blue bird we've seen here on the Ozark Plateau is the Indigo Bunting . Males are VERY blue , females are brown .

Reply to
Snag