Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Anoother good reason to compost
A Swedish lady found a wedding ring that she'd lost in the kitchen 16 years ago. It turned up on a carrot in the garden. They guess it went to the compost pile, or the sheep ate it and re-deposited...
6
6

Tomato by Xmas day
Well to those who might remember me, I'm Fran, who used to post as Farm1 and I've returned after ISP probs. I've missed the ngs but my garden has benefitted from less time reading. I managed to pick...
8
8

another for the reading list
_Teaming with Microbes_ by Jeff Lowenfels, Wayne Lewis revised edition (c) 2010, Timber Press. a little too preachy and campy for me at times, but the newer information was valuable enough to overlook...

Gardening Resolutions Anyone?
I have two, I will not waste space in my garden trying to grow tomatoes that I have never had success with and I will keep up a calender of what I do when. (planting, fertilizing, first harvest ect)...
5
5

the beans
finally finished shelling and sorting the soy beans and weighed them. 44lbs. all told we grew about 80lbs of dry beans last season. i don't think i'll grow soy beans next season and use those spaces...
7
7

Winter Project
The polycarbonate greenhouse I have had for 4 years is just about falling apart. It has cracked to the point that I am not even going to try to heat it this winter. The plan is to build a "real" one...
4
4

Figs
I have a patch of figs but I am never able to harvest more than a few before the first frost hits. I am wondering what I could do that would extend the growing season by about a month or two. I have...
7
7

hoehoehoe
i hope everyone has a great holiday! (or whatever in case you don't observe any specific one at all). songbird
2
2

Red Potatoes
If there is anyone still around I have a strange question. We bought 50 pounds of tiny red potatoes back in October and they were great. Now we are finding that they taste "sweet" for lack of a better...
7
7

glyphosate
Are You Eating, Drinking and Breathing Monsanto's New Agent Orange? Sayer Ji Special to (NEW YORK) - In a groundbreaking study published in Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry last month,...
2
2

First sweet corn
I cut my first sweet corn of the summer tonight. It was very tender and juicy but only average in flavour. I feel that I will be required to keep testing. Someone has to do it. D
8
8

?
?
8
8

potatos
when should I plant some potatos??
1
1

Three sisters method.
A friend told me about the Three Sisters growing method. Apearently It comes from the Native Americans who would grow Corn, Beans and Squash together. The corn stalks would provide a trellis for the...
25
25

Water pH & it's effect on gardens & plants
I have a drilled well that goes down 220'. When it was drilled in 1995, the pH that came back with the first water test was 7.0, perfectly neutral. Over the years, I've had some plants begin to give...
6
6