Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

lettuce refrigerate why
Most things with leaves aren't easily infected by bacteria. I guess for the reasons that they normally live outside as plants. Which brings me to my storey after I just came back from Costco. I have a...
3
3

No new news?
we've talked on the phone a few times and i met him about two years ago at our local regional seed swap. sadly that is not happening this year. i hope to see him again sometime. :) bean friends are...
1
1

'Romano' Sweet Pepper seed
Does anyone know where to get this in the US? I can find only similarly named varieties in the usual Google deluge. New to this pepper so I'd like the "original". thanks. PS. As an aside, last year I...

oven 200 degrees 4 hours kilowatt hours
Wife buys expensive apple chips. I say let's just make them (for free) out of apples. Just tried it. They're good. Sweet. Crisp. But. It took a whopping four hours at 200 degrees for just one apple....
6
6

fruit tree text
What texts contain information about fruit trees, especially apple trees? I'm looking for the height, growth rate, how hardy is the tree, etc. This along with info on the fruit; whens the harvest,...
4
4

finished the last of the squash
getting them processed and in the fridge or freezer instead of out in the garage where it now gets too cold to store them. it can make for a long day when i try to get too many done all at once and...
3
3

Any of you guys ever grow artichokes?
thoughts? I do love eating them. Marvel at the early, heavy yields of this acclaimed artichoke. Uniform 4” buds with layers of verdant outer petals add textural intrigue in the garden, while the...
5
5

first snow
i think it will mostly be melted by the end of the week but at least i did get some exercise in this morning shovelling. :) my body appreciated it. not much going on gardening wise outside, i need to...
5
5

Potato Seeds
Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato seeds. I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They produced above ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry...
7
7

all good things must ...
Friday 25F Saturday 28F Picked everything Friday afternoon before the freeze. Kind of breaks my heart to see what was a vibrant, healthy plants suddenly die so pathetically. Now to go go over what...
23
23

Chilli pepper pollinated flowers and fruits turn yellow and fall off
Hello, my chilli peppers are indoor plants, usually kept in between 18-25°C (65-77°F) and enough sunshine. In the beginning I used fertilizer that had NPK 6.4-1.7-9. The plant started to produce...
4
4

When to plant garlic?
Hi All, Now this is all over the web, but I'd rather hear it from someone I trust. I got my garlic in the mail yesterday. have usually waited till after the first front to plant. What actually is the...
7
7

plenty of rain
it is pretty much the end of the gardening season here now with recent rains putting an end to this round of the dry bean harvest. the dry beans were picked through pretty well before the rains...

last batch of tomatoes
finished up last night for the canning season, 20 quarts. this is very early for us to be done but the plants don't have enough on them now to do a batch with. we'll just pick and eat them when...

Dry Farmed Tomato?
Hi All, What in the world is a "Dry Farmed Tomato"? And how do they avoid "blossom rot" from the lack of water? Perplexed, -T
1
1