Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Beets me ...
We now have more space for storage of food ... and my wife found my grandmother's pickled beet recipe in her file box . Guess what I planted today ? I got some lettuce , spinach , and bok choy in the...

Beginning to warm up
Looks like no freezing weather here for the next ten day. Keeping my fingers crossed. Set out my onions yesterday, over 100 started from seed. Then planted about 150 pea seeds. I think I can still...
6
6

Berry update
I think this is gonna work ! 10 of 14 plants appear to have new growth - I was worried because they got lightly frosted the very night I planted them . Finally , some strawberries in my berry own...
8
8

A berry nice day !
I went to town today to discuss fruit tree choices with the go-to-girl at the best nursery in town , ended up coming home with 14 strawberry plants . Bare root suckers , most had some green , and...
5
5

toilet paper rolls seed starters
Wish I had seen this sooner. I had been using masking tape for bottoms. Folding closure shown here is better: Living Green - Older Mommy Still Yummy
7
7

Winter is back
It is snowing again. Looks like 4 or 5 inches already. Everything is coming to a grinding halt, including me. They are predicting 64°F for tomorrow. Hope it makes it.
3
3

Apples and cherries and ...
Peaches and pears ! I've started clearing a place for HerOrchardness , and I'm not sure which ones need 2 trees to pollinate . Apples I'm sure of , but the rest not so much . Additionally , our...
7
7

Disease resistant basil type?
For the last two years every basil plant I have grown, either from seed or purchased has turned yellow, gotten very bitter and died. I do not know what disease this is, but if anyone has any idea what...
6
6

Grafting tomatoes
I want to try grafting some of my favorite heirlooms this year. Can anyone point me to some good websites explaining techniques? My small motor skills are not wonderful, so any help I can get would...
6
6

Y shape Apple tree.
Can anyone help me. I bought this Granny Smith apple tree recently on M26 rootstock. I want to keep it in a patio pot for now as we should be moving at some point in the future. My problem is the Y...
2
2

growing mustard for seed
I was able to successfully sprout some yellow mustard seed from the kitchen. I'd like to try growing it in the garden. Has anyone else done this? When should it be planted? Does it need a lot of sun?...
2
2

Seed-planting Dealies
Never used them. The traditional way is to use a fold of glossy paper and to tap the paper so they slowly drip out of the fold. By adjusting the slope of the paper and the way you tap you have quite...
1
1

BUTTERNUTS
will butternuts ripen off the vine?
3
3

Is it Spring, yet?
... not this year! :p :) some years we've had crocuses up and blooming by this time. it is starting to snow again at the moment and we're due for rain and ice tonight before going back below freezing...
2
2

White Fly's
My greenhouse in infested. How do I get rid of these things? They are all over the broccoli plants that will be planted in t he garden in a few weeks and I expect that will take care of them but what...