Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Not a good year so far
I have had a hard time with peppers that are now finally starting to take o ff. Now the zucchini and yellow squash is turning yellow and the fruit are shriveling up and dying. Plenty of sun, water,...
13
13

Another harvest
This morning we harvested a bucket of yellow squash, cucumbers, sweet chiles, and carrots. Not a huge amount but more than we can eat and don't have a need to preserve. So the descendants got emails...
1
1

Berry Pickin'!
Yay! The dewberries started getting ripe right after the first of the rains last week. We've been able to pick some for several days and most of them were plump little guys. If the rain keeps up,...
7
7

New album
I just posted some photos on my photobucket doodaddy . These are of the wild fruit growing out in the woods , plus a couple of shots of my garden . For scale , the tomato cages are 5 feet tall . The...

I cut the Lettuce.......
And it is really bitter.Why? Somehow I found the seed package and it is "Gr and Rapids" if that has anything to do with it? I tried leaves from both th e top and the bottom with the same results. If...
2
2

Bok choy seeding
My bok choy has bolted and is now forming seed pods . Anybody have experience with when to harvest them ? Any dishes that use the pods/seeds ?
3
3

Curly Leaf lettuce Harvest
How do I harvest this stuff? Peel off the leaves or just cut it to the ground? MJ
9
9

It's songbird's fault
Heh. Songbird suggested this group might be of interest so here I am. :) I've been reading for awhile and finally got a chance to post. Short intro: dear husband and I are in zone 7b/8a (depending on...
37
37

Blackberry update
The berry patch looks like a a snowdrift ... They're blooming like mad , and they're loaded with fruit . It looks like clumping them is going to make it a lot easier to harvest them . Actually , it's...
5
5

strawberries flowering away
looks great out there with many thousand strawberry blooms in various patches around the yard. i was wondering if the oldest strawberry patch would have much going on this year as it has been mostly...
2
2

Trucker's favorite corn
Someone here mentioned that he/she was looking for this corn. I saw the seed yesterday at my local garden supply. It was packed by Wetsel (since 1921)inc. PO Box 791 Harrisonburg, VA 22803-0791. I'll...

Repelling ...
Critters , that is . Today I mixed up 4 eggs , 1 cup dry milk , some cayenne pepper juice I made . and water to make 2 gallons . Sprayed some on all my trees and most of the garden vegetation . My...

ratcoon
Keeping in standards for naming the garden pests. On my deck after sunset. I've got a lot of small plants and seedlings out. Opened slider to yell at him and all he did was move to the side. Went in...
12
12

Forest Rats Strike !
While sippin' my second cuppa this morning my wife started hollering for me to come to the kitchen . She points out the window and it takes me a second to realize there's a whitetail doe munching on...
9
9

Strange bugs on Blackcurrants
We have some wierd things living on one of our blackcurrant bushes! I have enclosed the only pjhoto I could find of it on the web, but it had no discription, so am still in the dark. It looks abit...
3
3