Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Delicious
The strawberries are ripening even as I type . Already picked a couple-three quarts , and there's lots more . This is what strawberries are *supposed* to taste like . I'm so glad I restrained myself...

sprouts, bergamot, topsoil, etc.
some of the onions and flax have started to show up. will have to get out and get some peas and other early annuals planted in the next few weeks before the main plantings of the more frost intolerant...

Any of you CA guys getting any rain?
Its been raining here in Northern Nevada off and on for the paste few days. Means there is enough power in the storm to overcome the rain shadow effect. You guys in California getting any significant...
1
1

if this doesn't make you want to grow your own...
i dunno what it would take. i'd never even heard of lupine flour before, and even if i had i'd never think of it with respect to a peanut allergy (and that's only part of the story). songbird
6
6

a new worm farm
some friends in a local small town nearby keep me in mind when they have extra stuff from making wood for their wood burner... the other day i finish my chores for the morning and am just sitting down...
6
6

High-pitched beep solar garden guard gdimport. High beep from unit
The elderly in particular use a cat-deterrent in their garden. It is a small apparatus with a speaker attached to it. It produces a high-pitched bleep of more than a 100 decibel. The sound is mostly...

Harvest
Harvested three sweet chiles yesterday and just picked six yellow summer squash today. Looks like stir fry for dinner tonight.
10
10

Minerals for Pumpkins
I had a soil test done on our gardens and have added the recommended amount s of the minerals they were low on. One area is going to be the pumpkin/squ ash patch. I read that pumpkins like acidic soil...
1
1

Plum Tree with red/green branches turning black
I bought this Victoria plum back in October last year. It looked very similar to how it does now with green and red mottled branches. I didn't think much of it as all the others of this type were the...

No lack of pollinators ...
At least down in The Holler . My one beehive has over the last 3 weeks become 4 hives ... the result of a split , a swarm , and a mini-split is that now we have 3 colonies with virgin queens and one...
3
3

Garden Peas
Hi,can anyone recommend a variety of pea that easy to grow in pots and has a good yield? Cheers

BT or DE ?
Something is nibbling on my bok choy , and I've seen grasshoppers . Not certain that they're to blame , but ... which will work better for grasshoppers ? Other pests that I've seen on these plants...
4
4

Rain again
Last two days we have gotten five inches of rain, the majority falling over the last 24 hours. Lots of flooding in the Houston area but not where we live. Lost power last night for about eight hours....
9
9

A good start yesterday
The weather gods have smiled upon me and given me 2 days of nice weather in a row ... yesterday I got 30 of the tomato plants in , the last 4 will happen today , along with planting most of the...

ACK! too wet !
The weather forecasts for the next 10 days look good , the plants are ready , and last night's rain has the ground too wet . There go my plans for today . I have to be careful , there's a good bit of...
2
2