Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Squash bugs
Hi All, Time to reorder seeds. Between this year and last year has anyone found a squash bug resistant zucchini? Many thanks, -T
4
4

quiet winter times
not too much different goes on here for gardening at this time of the year. daydreaming of spring, planning what to plent, getting ready for a seed swap coming up towards the end of February and...
31
31

this was a long season
i was able to get all the gardens put up at last several days ago. i didn't think at first that i could get back outside again but the weather gave me two days of above freezing weather good enough...
2
2

How to ripen Butternut "Argonaut" squash?
I grew a 24 pound Argonaut squash this season. Because of the failing summer warmth I had to pull it when it was just beginning to turn orange. It's been washed, bleach-wiped, and sitting in a sunny...
1
1

green tomoatoews about to freeeze
Hi All, My cherry tomatoes are filled with green tomatoes that do not seem to want to ripen. And the first freeze is coming pretty quick. Is this good advice? Get Tomatoes to Ripen Faster on the Vine...
6
6

Garlic Yield
is getting close to planting time for garlic. which is mid-october-ish here in western new york. i'm learning from mistakes and hoping to increase my yield in 2023. in 2021 we planted 120 cloves. out...
10
10

OT: Dad Joke
As I suspected, someone has been adding soil to my garden. THE PLOT THICKENS! What??? It is a Dad Joke. It is not suppose to be funny!
7
7

pepper seed question
Hi All, I have been following Songbird's instruction on how to collect Anaheim (California) pepper seeds. Wait till the peppers are nice and red and the skins wrinkly, then harvest the seeds and dry...
2
2

tomato harvest coming in
went out yesterday morning expecting to pick 6-8 buckets of tomatoes and ended up picking between 11-13 buckets instead. which meant for a busy day of tomato canning. i'm happy for it though as we...
7
7

To hot to plant?
Hi All, I have noticed that I am unable to get ANY seed to germinate if I plant it after the thrid week in May. That is when the freezing nights stop. (In May, we have 70 to 80F days and 30 to 40 F...
10
10

sweet Oregon grape?
Hi All, Googling has failed me. Do you guys know if there is a such thing as a variety of Oregon Grape the has sweet(er) fruit? Many thanks, -T

sick zuke question
Hi All, I decided to grow four zukes this year. One of them looks pretty sick and is not growing. idea what is wrong with it? And, should I pull it out to keep it from infecting the other three? Many...
3
3

over winter onion sets?
Hi All, Since I can not grow onions from seeds, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for over winter onions sets at zone 6B (39 deg latitude) I found these: Many thanks, -T
2
2

peas, onions, garlic, beans...
2nd picking of peas and pea pods. as contrasted to last year's pea garden the chipmunks haven't damaged a single pod or pea that i could tell. i made sure to get as many of the pods as i could find so...
1
1

seven and june bugs
Will seven kill june bugs ? If so do they have to eat the plants that are sprayed ? I was spraying my tomatoes and there was a june bug on the cage and I sprayed him real well but he just kept walking...
8
8