Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Help! Crop cage problem
Guys, I usually get my crop cages from here - 'Crop Cages | small & large | protect crops and plants from predators' ( they've been our of stock for months (if not a year) and I can't wait any longer!...
1
1

Sauerkraut report,,,
Some months ago I mentioned that was making sauerkraut (first time out for me.) I like the stuff, but dislike cabbage. As it puttered along, I had some concern that it might be the case that I liked...
2
2

Winter Tomatoes
The game is on. I have a very fancy-pants plant light installed and that I use for seedlings in the spring. Well, I decided that I will grow tomatoes this winter. I have planned to do cherries,...
7
7

first snow of the season
i've been spoiled by this past few weeks of nicer weather. i knew it couldn't last forever, but it sure was nice to have extra days to get the gardens put up for the winter and to putter around. now,...
6
6

turnips
i haven't looked at them in a while and so when putting some gardens up for the winter i pulled some to throw in the holes along with the dry stuff to give the worms some wet and green stuff to work...
5
5

Re: Goodbye with mixed feelings
For someone who claims to be subsribed for as long as you claim you are demonstating an exceptionately shallow intellect... usenet is no different now from how it's always been. All anyone can hope to...
36
36

Anyone grow broccoli?
Hey all, I had a question about growing broccoli. I'm in Chicago and usually do ok with cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet peas and bell peppers every year. Same with other minor herbs and spices. Some total...
1
1

Winter Cover?
What to plant in a garden over the Winter?
9
9

expanded strawberry patch
as of a few days ago i didn't even think i was going to get around to expanding the first strawberry patch, but as it turned out the past few days weather was about perfect for scraping, digging and...
9
9

from today's forecast...
"Today: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48." "Tonight: Areas of frost after midnight. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 28" good thing i got out and picked...
20
20

cucumbers, onions, etc.
this year the cucumbers never stopped and would be going still if Ma hadn't taken the vines out yesterday. since we had a bucket's worth of them we made even more bread and butter pickles. i don't...
13
13

Whippoorwill peas
Which are a cousin of the Humble Southern Staple Black Eyed Peas , are on the menu for tonight . Taste pretty good ... These are from the garden , grown from seeds acquired at the Ozark Seed Swap last...
3
3

Using ferric phosphate on slugs
Has anyone experience with these? I have had a lot of trouble as they are very quickly taken by the birds (and also mice I suspect) My workaround is ,for now , to lay lengths of flat timber between...
9
9

Gardening season about over here ...
And that's good , because I'll be waaaayyy too busy building the second phase of our house in the woods . We broke ground for the cellar under our new kitchen over the weekend . There is now a hole 14...
4
4

Red Rippers
Just had some for lunch ... these were from my garden , and this is the first time I've tried them . Cooked them in the little crock pot for about 3 hours after an overnight soak . Seasoned with some...
1
1