Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

"cloning" tomatoes
I'd like to try propagating tomatoes with cuttings . I have some rooting hormone powder , but am unsure of how big the plants need to be , and what to cut off to try this . Anyone been there and done...
2
2

Black crowders again
Went out to peruse the gardens again this morning and it appears I have 98% of the black crowder seeds have come up. That's the best I've ever had on store bought seed. These are from Victory Seeds so...
3
3

Black crowder peas
Went out around 0800 and checked the peas, one eight foot row is mostly up but the other eight foot row isn't showing at all. The day after I planted them a heavy rain hit us but I think the peas that...

French shallots
Scored at the Ozark seed Swap today . Got 5 nice bulbs , do I break them into cloves and plant now ? I ended up being one of the people that lay their stuff out on a table . I had a lot more to swap...
5
5

Swiss chard
Harvested a goodly amount of Swiss chard this afternoon. Huge leaves and still tender. Blanched the harvest for three minutes in boiling water, drained, put on a bun pan and into the freezer for...
3
3

Beginnings , 2016
Today I planted bok choi , spinach , and romaine out in the garden . In keeping with my new no-till experiment , I loosened the soil in the row I wanted to plant with a fork , and worked a little...

Here comes Spring !
And I've already started some tomatoes and peppers . Got 18 cells of 'maters that have come up already , nothing from the peppers yet .
5
5

Spring is upon us
Warming weather, blue skies, temps around 70F and up. Looks like spring is almost here. Tearing out the winter garden in bits. If it looks like it might bear a bit longer we let it live. Eggplants are...
2
2

Howard rotavator clutch adjustment
I have just fitted a new engine to a Howard 350 rotavator and connecting up. Just found that the clutch adjustment is missing at the lever end. This is a bit like the cable adjusters you get bike...
3
3

Milk Jugs
You know , the kinda whitish/clear plastic ones ? Cut into 1" wide strips they make great ID tags for starter cells . Today I started my tomatoes and peppers , pretty much everything else is direct...

what will you do differently?
this year? i have a bit of brush clearing to do and perhaps transplanting some trees. the rest of the gardens are fairly done and not too much to change now. only one spot inside the fence will need...
12
12

Garlic: missed a few!
Hi All, The snow finally melted from my little garden. So I went to check out the garlic I so lovingly planted in the spring (probably should have done it in the fall). They are surviving "okay" with...
4
4

hedelfinger riesenkirsche pollination
I've just bought a sweet cherry plant, Hedelfinger riesenkirsche. The label says it's self pollinating but Google tells me Hedelfinger is an old variety and so likely to need a pollinating partner...

Preserving garlic
I'm looking for some alternative ways to preserve garlic. I've done it in oil before but am interested in other methods. My favourite way is to simply hang the bulbs in a cool, dark and dry place, but...
3
3

Tomatoes are evil
Read it yourself: Tomatoes ARE evil. 136 likes · 1 talking about this. WELCOME TO THE TRUTH ABOUT THE EVIL FRUIT proof that tomatoes (and other vegetables) are evil exists...