Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

newsletter
Hi All - just a f y i link to the recent Lee Valley gardening newsletter If you haven't heard of Lee Valley - browse their website. < I have no affiliation just a customer > John T.

Seedling mats
Since I have had problems getting some seeds to germinate , I decided to try one of the many heat mats . I bought a 10 x 20 , big enough for a 72 cell starter tray . The instructions say it should be...
1
1

Hard freeze
Here it is at 0630 and the thermometer is showing 21F and I will be out there at sunrise checking the garden and also taking a look at the faucets I forgot to cover last night. Getting old and senile...
5
5

Weather
Got up this morning to terrible weather, rain, whipping winds, looked like a mini-hurricane. Here it 3:20 pm, bright sunshine, blue skies, no wind, 71F. What the? Only got one tenth of one percent...
2
2

Himrod and other vine cuttings
Hi, When I was young we used to have a gorgeous Himrod and would like to grow this plant again. I would like to try to grow a few varieties of grapes this year as I'm a big fan of grapes. So wondering...

12/28/16
Here we are, nearly into another year. The high temp forecast for today is 81F with possible rain. Can use the rain, not so much the high temps nor the sweat that goes with it. The fall garden is...
1
1

Weather
High temp here today was 79F, might get down to mid-forties by mid week. Garden is doing well but we lost the four year old pepper plant but the three year old kale is okay but will probably die soon....

merry christmas garden pails
i hope Santa is good to you. :) songbird
1
1

Frozen
The hard freeze two days ago did in the sweet peppers, eggplant, and tomatoes. We're letting them sit for the moment even though the temperatures are back in the high sixties, low seventies. I will...
3
3

Freeze
Well, the weather heads hit it on the button this morning. Yesterday we picked the whole garden. Three buckets of green tomatoes, eggplant, etc. Just in case the temps might actually hit freezing. I...
2
2

wormies!
ah!!! nice to be back to the winter routine. :) cooked up some squash yesterday and so today i had skins, seeds and pulp from those to feed to the worms. instead of spreading the seeds/pulp out among...

A foggy morning
Slept in this morning, a rare occurrence. Woke up to a light fog and some of yesterday's leftover rain. It is 64F out there and may have a decent winter morning. The three year old sweet pepper is,...
1
1

OT: a must read for diabetics
A post about diabetes care, nutritional and political rebellion. Every now and then, it can be a good thing.

red bell peppers?
Hi All, My wife loves red bell peppers. So, I am thinking of growing them next season. Now I know that what grows commercially is not always the easiest thing to grow in a garden, so I was wondering...
6
6

Flashback - turning the heap
Fifty years ago that was me, used a Farmall Cub with forks on the front, turning a heap that had pretty much almost caught fire. People who have machinery use it for many things that need doing....