Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Basil
$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmedJ Agric Food Chem. 2008 Sep 24;56(18):8685-91. Epub 2008 Aug 20. Effects of nitrogen fertilization on the phenolic composition and antioxidant properties of basil...
2
2

Barrier in ground to ward off tree root invasion
My very large plum tree is north of my tomato plot and the branches overhang the northern most tomato plants (the trench for the tomatoes runs north and south). Even if and when I trim the tree boughs...
8
8

germination progress
In an earlier post I listed the varieties of tomatoes that I'm starting from seed. I started the first four on April 1, one variety on April 5, and I plan to start the last two today, April 6. There...
9
9

is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas
I bought a package of Black Knight Sweet Peas thinking that they were an edible pea (sweet pea sounds good doesn't it). As it turns out they are poisonous. Is there any possibility that they will...
3
3

No Big Box tomatos this year
After last year's late blight fiasco I've sworn off buying plants from the Big Box stores, I'm doing everything from seed. I started the germination process on Friday for the first four varieties,...
15
15

Carrots survived the winter
Is this unusual?, my garden is full of carrots. I've been eating some of them for the last few weeks but I'm wondering if I should just leave them alone for a few months and hope they grow to a...
8
8

Gardening
Well the first of my lettuce is in, but I had to stand in the rain to do it. Weird day. The sun would come out, and I would go out, and every time I went out, it would start to rain again. I planted...

Just dug the horseradish for the first time
Interestingly, some of the biggest roots ran laterally from the crowns for about a foot before turning down (just begging to be cut by the shovel.) Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got...
7
7

Monsanto has change of heart.
3
3

Amazing !
I find it hard to believe no one on this forum grows heritage beans apart from me, can that be.
46
46

Too late to change Dealing with SHADE
Well I did 12 12 hour readings with a fancy light meter and got the results I could get by eye. Essentiality I have partial sun this with no leaves out yet. I just positioned a raised bed 8*12 that...
2
2

Mushroom Problem Solved
I grow shiitake mushrooms on oak logs in my basement. Last week, I noticed two small mushrooms budding on one of them. The next day, one was larger but the other was gone. A couple of days later, I...
2
2

Lovelock: 'We can't save the planet"
We use to have an expression that sort of sums it up. Nothing can be done however anything is possible.
3
3

Charlie got me thinkin sourdough
Discovered this I found in a book called "Wild Bread" by Lisa Rayner.

2009 garden photos
just have a small garden for the 2 of us, but it produces above average yields You will notice we use wheat straw for top mulch & there is a reason. We could not control white flies until Walter...
3
3