Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

edible berry on tree
Hi, I saw a tree in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with purplish red berries on it. The berries themselves looked quite a bit like blue berries (except for the colour). This was however a 25+ft...
4
4

cucumber flowers
I have not ever planted cucumbers before so I'm not sure what to do. I have a small cucumber plant ( covered by a soda bottle ) and it has a flower, it only has 4 leaves. Do I need to pinch off the...
10
10

asparagus - leave or replant?
I grew purple asparagus from seed 2 years ago, thought they had died but in spring suddenly found it was still alive in pots. Should have checked then what to do but just popped them into a raised bed...
3
3

Toward food sovereignty: Reclaiming autonomous food systems [pdf]
Looks alike a long worthwhile read. ........................................... Use the above link as below was broken now fixed by me. ........................ From The Scout Report, Copyright...
9
9

Sobering aka weeds
Got to eat more Lambs Quarters and Chick Weed and the list goes on.

How to fix contaminated soil?
My wife and I are absolutely not knowledgeable gardeners; our back yard is planted with perennials and shrubs selected mainly for appearance, hardiness and whim (I got three gas plants, based solely...
17
17

Black irregular dry spots on my courgette leaves.
Hello forum. This is my frist post and first attempt at growing anything. Myself and my girlfriend have decided to grow some indoor veg and herbs. We went for a bunch herbs, like flat leaf parsley,...
2
2

pine mycelium benefits
Not living in a pine forest we always added what pine needles we could muster. Recently ( the last 10 years that has increased a lot ). I sort of have belief that a mix of life is better than a narrow...
6
6

ant Lions, eastern Tiger(s) swallowtail and Slugs
Seems the modus operation is recognize damage find the culprits and dispatch them. Lets assume for a moment all this critters have a purpose. Some like weak plants and some like decaying mater. So in...
1
1

Salad stuff
I want to start growing my own salad stuff, and perhaps a few veggies, in one of those plastic small sort of small greenhouse. Is it too late in the year. I have never grown this sort of thing before...
10
10

acidify soil after planting blueberries?
I planted 6 blueberry plants today, in a hedge along the south side of my house. My experience with blueberries comes from planting a couple of plants back in the middle 80's. Both died, because our...
8
8

Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ?
My Niagra grape vine is doing very well this year and has put out a decent quantity of bunches. The fruit are already 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter. A friend told me that I should cut all fruiting vines...
4
4

Review: LED lights
So this year I had a some extra cash, and the metal halide light I had been using for lo, these many years was due for a new bulb. The time was ripe for a radical change. I'd always been unhappy with...
15
15

Preparing a vegetable patch
Hello, i have recently removed a pond in our back garden. I would like to fill it in a then use the area as a fruit/vegetable patch. Can anybody give me some advice on what to fill hole in with to...
1
1

Of hybrids and heirlooms
A recent thread on heirloom tomatoes showed that there is quite some confusion about this subject. Also there is a tendency to take up positions on the topic that are not necessarily supported by...
3
3