Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Rocket seeds
As a new gardener I'm a bit desparate to know whether my rocket seeds have germinated, or whether what I can see in the tub is weeds! Does anyone know what the seeds look like once they've germinated?...
2
2

Has anyone tried planting ginger?
Just for grins, I planted a 4" chunk of ginger that I bought in the market and now, after about 3 weeks of waiting, it's sent up a shoot. I was just wondering if anyone else here has tried planting...
7
7

Newly germinated rocket lettuce seeds
I have planted, for the first time, rocket lettuce seeds. I understand that they take about 2 weeks to germinate in a hot JUne/July. I planted them 26th June. I have got a couple of what looks like...
1
1

garden pollinators
The question of how to improve fruit yields and the role of pollinators comes up quite regularly. This includes "vegetables" that are botanically fruits, eg tomato, chilli etc. Here are two references...

chilies
I am not a gardener, but I can't get habanero peppers here [Holland] so I am growing them on my window sill. A few days ago I got about 20 buds, I thought bingo chilies. But now they are turning into...
8
8

Succession planting Extending the harvest
Inspired by the tread concerning beans. I plant about three weeks apart . Some plants can't handle the heat beans can. More on planting late below. Path: From: Billy Newsgroups: Subject: Re: Planting...

peppers and greenhouse
Hi folks. This is my first year with growing my own veg - and I am learning slowly. As I eat a lot of peppers, I would like to stat growing my own BELL PEPPERS next year. I've read quite a few stories...
1
1

Ok - first tomato, first blackberry and sticky pots
Speaking of tomatoes, my understanding was that determinant tomatoes all ripped at the same time, but I have a Glacier with ripe tomatoes and just set, green fruit!? Is this another urban legend...
11
11

Petroleum and Plants
If BP can get away for $20B, it will be cheap.
3
3

syrphid fly
Well the Bumble bee has a partner this year and with the Melon vines I now see syrphid flies. Is there a good way to attract the hoverers? Are they pollen gatherers or Nectar eaters? There a perfect...
3
3

Odd garlic cloves
This is my first visit here so apologies if this question has been asked before but... I planted garlic late last year and they've been doing really well, but when I checked them today I noticed that...
2
2

Please help identify this plant, known as Callaloo in Jamaica
My Jamaican gardeners have planted something they call Callaloo in my garden. The Wikipedia article lists a number of plants that are used for Callaloo but none of them are an exact match for this...
13
13

pruning tomato flowers?
We have some indeterminate tomatoes (Cherokee Purples), which are growing well (knock on wood), and producing a lot of flowers, and (so far) some fruits. We cut a tree this year, so have actual SUN in...
3
3

snails and slugs
We have snails and slugs in the garden. Has anyone found a good way to get rid of them?
27
27

Optimism, I Guess....
Well, despite a definite trend a/o this typing: , a few glimpses of blue sky and flashes of sunshine have me so optimistic that our days-long spell of unbroken clouds and rain is breaking, as to hang...
5
5