Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Strawberry weeding advice
Hi! We have a small garden (approx. 10' x 20') in our back yard with some strawberries in it. I'm in Southern California, and right now it's a combination of weeds, dead grass, and green strawberry...
4
4

When do you plant garlic?
I am interested in the practice of growing garlic, I mean real garlic not elephant garlic etc. Around here some have planted already (late summer) and others will not plant for more than a month...
8
8

Pear tree maintenance advice needed
Hello folks, I've just removed a mass of ivy that was growing around my pear tree, which is in the back garden of a newly acquired property. I was surprised to find a long gash in the trunk that was...
2
2

Habanero peppers ..again
Last year I asked for advice on habanero peppers and they were a great success, in fact they have survived the winter on my window sill and are still producing small pea size peppers. My question is...
8
8

Pricking out Tomatoes
My Moneymaker are no ready to pot up in 3" pots. should I take them from the window cill (65f) to a 10c greenhouse to pot on and bring back indoors or should I do the whole thing indoors. When will...
2
2

Rhubarb
Looks like most of my rhubarb has survived another winter. Several are questionable but I am hoping the some or the others can be divided. Got them all weeded and the next move is to put some compost...
2
2

Why Aren¹t G.M.O. Foods Labeled?
FEBRUARY 15, 2011, 9:00 PM Why Aren¹t G.M.O. Foods Labeled? By MARK BITTMAN If you want to avoid sugar, aspartame, trans-fats, MSG, or just about anything else, you read the label. If you want to...
30
30

Going back to school concerning SOIL
Just in case we don't know it all. "7. Teacher says: "The remaining 10% (approximately), a very small fragment of the land area, represents the soil we depend on for the world's food supply. This...
2
2

Awesome weather today.
How about that weather. The drug patrol helicopter circled my house again at about 100 feet .About 2 PM. And woke me up. They keep waking me up . As I work shifts. I gave them the finger last summer....
4
4

Pumpkins
I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on growing giant pumpkins they'd like to share?
28
28

expanded shale for clay soil
Has anyone used expanded sale to improve clay soil? I read of a study by Texas A&M which indicated it is a permanent solution to improving the air and drainage properties for gardening. Has anyone...
3
3

edible water chesnut and bamboo
hallo, i love my chinese bamboo shoots and water chesnuts. can i grow edible ones in a hot climate - hot summers, cold winters and i have lots of water nearby. sofar i am told that bamboo cant be...
2
2

seed starter mix
I am new to starting seeds so I am wondering if anyone in the forum has experience making their own seed starter mix, and if it has worked out better than buying a pre-mixed substance. I thought...
5
5

Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco
Hi I'm wondering if I could boil some tobaco in water and use the resulting solution to spray on vedge as an insecticde? If so, what are the ratios and will my vedge be ok to eat or will they become...
53
53

Seedlings
My seedlings have become very spindely. They are ready to start going to the green house for daily visits. My question is will they improve and become sturdy? I know they should be transplanted into...
7
7