Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

another muclh question
This year I had a bunch of pine needles and put them around my tomato plants. Probalby several inches thick as I had a large pine removed and needed to do something with the needles. Can I use my...
1
1

mulch question
Hi All, I am suppose to put a bit of mulch over my over winter onions to protect them from the elements. I have pine needles and peat moss. Does both qualify? -T
3
3

Green beans?
Hi All, Are green beans very difficult to grow? (Keep in mind my black thumb.) Found these with a 50 day maturity: strings either. And my trophy wife loves the way I cook green beans: bacon fat,...
14
14

purple dove beans
i really enjoyed growing these the past three years. the first year i only had a small sample to work with and to get the seed supply built up. the second year i verified they did well in most garden...
5
5

Sweet Potatoes
I harvested the sweet potatoes this morning. We had a 25' row, about 3/4 regular yellow and the rest white sweet potatoes. The yellow did very well, we got at least 20# of good sized potatoes, but the...
5
5

Gourds?
Hi All, Not to ask too stupid a question, but if gourds are not editable, what are they used for? Are they toxic? -T
8
8

a few squash pics
the varigated ones, a cross between kabocha and a local pumpkin of some kind: supposed to be small squash? i'd hate to meet the parents! songbird...
7
7

Frost Warnings Tonight
We've had a little cold snap here in Maryland, just northeast of Baltimore. Daytime highs in the mid-60's, overnight lows in the mid-40's. Tonight they're predicting a low of 40 with frost warnings. I...
2
2

pallet project done pics
feels so good to have this mostly done at last... it was a ton of work to do to get all those pallets removed and cut up and also it was a scramble to get the drain tubes moved and all the pea gravel...
1
1

irish moss still alive
as i was taking pics the other week i also took a quick few shots of the irish moss bit that i rescued last year (after trying to get rid of it thinking it might be an invasive weed i didn't want in...

fertilizer sticks
Hi All, Are these organic fertilizer sticks I see for outdoor plants any good? Many thanks, -T
1
1

first frost
last night. it took me by surprise because yesterday was busy and i didn't check the forecast. even if i had i may not have done anything different because it has been so far off this year anyways....
4
4

calcium for alkaline soil
Hi All, I am getting blossom rot on few of my peppers. My research says that this is due to a lack of calcium in my soil. I have seen recommendations to grinding up a TUMS, but my soil is already...
7
7

Mystery Seeds
Has anyone received any of those mystery seed packages that have been popping up around the country?
3
3

Fall planting
Pulled out the green beans and planted Florida broadleaf mustard just before the rain on Friday. There is a good crop of seedlings showing as of yesterday.
1
1