Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Our tomatoes seem to have stopped growing
We've just gone through an period of unusually high temperatures and humidity, and our tomato plants seem to have gone into some sort of stasis. They show no external signs of stress or disease, but...
5
5

Spicy preserves
I came up with an extra gallon of blackberries this week, so I decided to get creative. My grandmother's blackberry jam was a part of my life as long as she lived (grandpa was a heck of a berry...

Fried zucchini & steamed rice
This stuff is good!!!!!

What's the best garden hose?
I'm in the market for 2 50' garden hoses. Everything I've bought before kinks and disappoints me as far as quality goes. (even a couple of the "no kink" ones I've bought) Can someone recommend a brand...
6
6

Recommendation for strawberry protection
I have some strawberry plants, and the birds keep beating me to the berries. Can someone recommend a kind of netting to use to keep them out? What size holes? You know what I mean --- the intersteces...
8
8

Tomatoes have flowers but no fruit
This happened with my Green Zebras last year, and is happening with my Paul Robesons this year. Tons of big fluffy yellow flowers, and then nothing. Just little dried bits where the flowers used to...
4
4

my stevia plants taste like crap!
I've been using Stevia to sweeten my tea and cereal for a couple of months now, and when I saw some plants at a local store marked down to a buck, I decided to plant 6 of them out by the mailbox. When...
8
8

ping Nad R & Billy
Nad - I've been reading a book from the "River Cottage Handbook" series and thought you might be interested since you too seem to be interested in bread baking. I'm going to buy a copy when I can...
24
24

Broadbeans
How do tell when they are ready? Three times now I've picked some and one had nothing in it at all and the others had very tiny beans that had obviously only started to grow
3
3

Cherry tomatoes and shade
Seems I can get ripe cherry tomatoes at this time. I lost access to a sunny garden. Dad passed. Was wondering and will try to fry green cherry tomatoes as I saw an interesting recipe for a BLT. Fry...
1
1

Wilting Tomato Plant
Yes, i agree! you're discription is a little vauge! Dr. G.
1
1

Late Blight on LI NY
Late Blight http://easthampton.patch.com/articles/plant-disease-destroying-east-end-crops
1
1

Herbs
Well, it looks like wifey's planting of herb seeds was 102% successful. We now have lots of basil, cilantro, etc. I know they are best used fresh, but one can only use so much so fast. What's the good...
7
7

Bugs follow-up
Looks like I might have saved 3 of 6 plants . Removed the bugs , buried the stems to root , and I've been keeping the soil a bit wetter than normal . Two of them still wilt a little in the afternoon...

Aquaponic Gardening
Hi, I'm obviously new here and would like to introduce people to Aquaponic Gardening. For those of you who dont know its the growing of fish and plants in one natural system. The benefits are that the...
2
2