Would this drill do for removing plaster from a stone wall?

I have to remove plaster + tiles from 1 metre of a wall in preparation for damp proof course.

Instead of hiring a hammer thing at £50 a day or whatever, would this do?

?id=19663&slotName=null&homeRef=null&ts=87772&destination=/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp%3Fid%3D19663%26slotName%3Dnull%26homeRef%3Dnull Shorter if it doesn't wrap:

It says it will do "light chiselling" - is this what I'm after?

Reply to
Schrodinger

?id=19663&slotName=null&homeRef=null&ts=87772&destination=/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp%3Fid%3D19663%26slotName%3Dnull%26homeRef%3Dnull>

That's of the type I use. I have removed fireplaces, drilled holes for sink waste pipes, hole for stench pipe and chiselled plaster off a whole room prior to modernising the kitchen and utility rooms. Hope that helps

Reply to
the_constructor

?id=19663&slotName=null&homeRef=null&ts=87772&destination=/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp%3Fid%3D19663%26slotName%3Dnull%26homeRef%3Dnull>

I used a similar tool to remove tiles and the old quarry tiles beneath them, as well as my porch floor, very effective. You will need a wide chisel bit to speed things upthough. Mind the brickwork, these can split a brick in a second. If you're removing plaster alone a bolster and lump hammer might be easier.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

?id=19663&slotName=null&homeRef=null&ts=87772&destination=/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp%3Fid%3D19663%26slotName%3Dnull%26homeRef%3Dnull>

I have a Bosch almost identical to it. Great for drilling holes, even big ones in granite.

But I was very disappointed using a chisel with it. Probably because my plaster, where there is any, isn't very well attached, so it comes off just as easily with a 4lb mason's hammer and chisel - which (for me) is faster, lighter and easier to manage that the drill. Holding the drill up gets pretty tiring quite quickly.

I found that, whereas with a hammer you could hit as hard or as gently as you wanted, the drill didn't hammer at all until you put a bit of weight on it and then it would strike as hard as it wanted, which was often harder than I wanted.

Of course my house is just plaster spread onto a natural stone wall - so it comes off pretty easily. I haven't a clue what it would be like with brick or blockwork, where it really needed a lot of work to get it off. It might be better for that.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

?id=19663&slotName=null&homeRef=null&ts=87772&destination=/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp%3Fid%3D19663%26slotName%3Dnull%26homeRef%3Dnull>>

Thanks all for the rapid and informative responses.

I just started the job tonight - some does just come off in big blocks, but the wall I'm on now is some weird mixture, like sand and cement mixed with chipboard!

I'll order one of those as I've got a lot of similar jobs coming up around a house we're moving into.

Reply to
Schrodinger