Would This Be A Problem?

I have an in car DVD player that I may want / need to run off the mains whilst on holiday. The DVD player does not have a mains adaptor included. I do however have a small TV that runs off a car lighter socket that does have a mains adaptor included. The DVD DC input socket says 12V (Positive Centre), the TV DC innput socket says 12 to 15V (Positive Centre). When I check the adaptor with my multimeter it is actually kicking out 17.5V. The adaptor has been running the TV from mains for at least 4 years (kitchen / cooking viewing) so the 17.5V hasn't done any harm there but will it cause any damage to the DVD player (Centurion PP70DVD2)?

TIA

John

Reply to
John

A cheap universal adaptor might be a better idea.

Reply to
Chris

maybe yes, maybe no. Usually no.

these have exactly the same characteristics. If you want something you know will be ok you need a regulated 12v power supply.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A cheap, unregulated power supply will output a higher voltage when there's no or little load. So your multimeter might over-read.

Try reading the voltage when there's a typical current flowing. (Got a

12v torch bulb somewhere?)

Reply to
AJ

I don't reckon you'd have any problem - providing the adaptor has sufficient power output (with moving parts, your DVD may demand more than the telly). IME, there is enormous tolerance on these things. And as AJ points out, the no-load voltage will read higher than when in use. Why not measure the voltage when it is actually powering the telly?

Reply to
Martin

How? The bit being measured is no longer accessible...

Reply to
PM

Er... good point.

I'm lucky enough to have all kinds of bits and bobs, so would be able to link in a meter.

Also, meter leads often (well, mine do) come with a pair of sharp pointy probes which readily make contact though the insulation on bell-wire type flex. But I suspect the lead to the concentric 12v socket won't have an "8" x-section, so won't be "probe"-friendly.

Reply to
Martin

Sounds like the PS is unregulated and could read near anything off load.

A car DVD is designed to cope with at least 14.5 volts, and probably has its own regulation so I'd guess you'll be ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)