Woodworm - sorry long post - bits off topic

Bought 40 year old house a couple of years back. Kitchen floor now uneven under vinyl covering. A few months before bought it there was a major escape of water when occupiers were in Spain. Ply & hardboard flooring now found to be warped.

Having moved bits under fitted kitchen, rolled back vinyl and levered up part of floor found evidence of woodworm. Hole size and shape suggest common furniture beetle.

Stuck some tissue across some of the holed areas to see if infestation is still active.

Since found some holes under under stairs cupboard and cloakroom - all on the same side of house. Before discovering this I had lifted one or

2 boards in lounge and diner and saw no evidence. These latter 2 rooms are immaculately decorated, furnished and newly carpeted and I would rather not disturb them.

If infestation is active presumably enough boards will have to be taken up to allow spraying of all the joists etc.?

Some sites suggest getting moisture content below 12 percent would cause the outbreak to die out. Doesn't seem damp under the floor but I would have to hire or buy a meter to find out. Air bricks are all clear. House is in Essex where it is relatively dry.

Anyone got any advice?

Work will be a little delayed whilst we find the money to: Get the woodworm treated if necessary. Replace the kitchen floor Get a new consumer unit and re-wire the kitchen Source and fit new kitchen including moving plumbing and gas Repair and skim kitchen ceiling (changed lighting) Over-tile walls

I have done quite a bit of diy over the years but do not play with gas, am hopeless with plaster and am not Part P or whatever so am now restricted on wiring. Given that I suffer badly with stress and we do not want the kitchen out of action for months would it be best to find someone to project manage this? If so where do I start?

TIA for any advice. I have refitted a kitchen before but this I find a bit overwhelming given that it will all have to be completed in a fairly short timescale.

Thanks again. Is there anywhere more appropriate I could post this?

Reply to
Invisible Man

Is there any chance you might be insured for this? Buildings insurance for example.

I would consider woodworm treatment as a pro job not a diy job. You must get rid of the worms before you do anything else.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Thanks, but insurances always exclude infestation. In any event the damage would haves started before we bought the house and insured it.

Reply to
Invisible Man

What did the survey say? (probably some sort of weasel words, but you never know...)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

You could try on uk.d-i-y someone there will have dealt with woodworm before.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

To be fair it was not obvious. I only discovered it after removing plinths and lifting kitchen unit feet to lift the fitted vinyl floor covering.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Thanks Adam. I didn't know that ng existed but I have now subscribed.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Was it surveyed before purchase? Possibly they should have seen it

Reply to
Chewbacca

Homebuyer survey. They do not lift floorcoverings unless it can be done easily.

Reply to
Invisible Man