Wooden internal doors and shortcuts

If I used knotting solution on all surfaces of a door, to prevent later problems, but then proceeded to prime and undercoat the door once hung i.e. missing the bottom surface, and the hinge areas, is that going to cause me any problems later?
Thanks
John
John Whitworth wrote:

Why would you want to do that, as knotting is generally only used to seal resinous knots to prevent 'bleed through' of the resin?
To cover the entire door really is overkill and a waste of time - if you go that level, why not use a polyurethane finish on the door instead of paint?

That's what normally happens on internal doors and causes no problems,
Cash

Ah but, using knotting or shellac is a good way to seal the grain before applying any further paint, including primer. It is the first fundamental step in producing a glass like finish, (if you want one) but you obviously need to rub it down when dry as you should with each coat if you require an above average finish.
Stephen
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

Stephen,
But in a 'normal' household, that amount of work really isn't justified - especially if you have one or more 'little tornadoes' running around causing havoc - (and that's what a house is for).
But to get back to the OP, using knotting that way to prevent further problems really is overkill - especially as a thinned out primer (oil based) as a starter will give the same, high finish if the rest of the coats are correctly applied and rubbed down - in a totally dust free, temperature controlled atmosphere if perfection really is required that is!
No good for me I'm afraid - a simple three coat oil-based paint job (internal) using 'trade paint' (no one coat wonder or drip-proof crap) gives me a nice clean, run-free finish that will last for at least five years (I bloody hate decorating).
Cash

True, but I did say if you want one ;)

Each to his own, but using knotting to seal the wood means you don't have to wait long for it to dry, you can almost wet or dry flat it straight away and of course oil based primers or sealers require overnight drying at least, sometimes longer.

It is not necessary I agree but I hate the grain of wood showing through particularly on a new door when painted in colour (it resembles brushmarks), I prefer glass like finishes, but it is not obviously every ones cup of tea or indeed for them to apply the extra work involved to achieve this type of paint finish.
Merely a suggestion really.
Stephen.
--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes

And a very interesting one too. I don't want to do that, but I had no idea that it was possible that way. Another method in the weaponry! ;-)
Cheers
JW

Sorry - my bad explanation...
I used knotting solution where necessary on all surfaces of a door... I.e. I treated every visible knot on every surface.
I then proceeded to prime and undercoat the door once hung i.e. missing the bottom surface, and the hinge areas, is that going to cause me any problems later?
Thanks
John
John Whitworth wrote:

John,
That won't cause any problems whatsover - and is in fact *the* normal practice for internal domestic use.
Cash

Thanks Cash.
On 14 Jan, 22:49, "John Whitworth"

No problems at all, it's normal to do that. What kind of problems were you expecting?
Cheers Richard

Not sure really. Damp ingress into untreated surfaces maybe?
That said, after posting, I checked the tops and bottoms of the doors fitted to this house when built, and lo-and-behold - bare wood.
Cheers all for the responses.
JW
On 15 Jan, 22:17, "John Whitworth"
Even if this were likely, unless you have a permanently damp house with no ventilation, it would dry out again.

There you go then ;-) No need to worry.
Cheers Richard