Wood sealant

I am not sure what it is called nor how to apply it but I have Pine furniture which has got well scratched (grandchildren). I am proposing to rub the table down so that its really smooth and then want to apply some form of hard sealant. The type that must be used on Pub Tables, they don't seem to scratch, but not that sickly shiny stuff. Can anyone please advise me if there is a suitable product or if I am just talking rubbish
Not a sealant as such, you can get a 'tough' varnish or woodstain from good suppliers such as Ronseal.
HTH Steve